Questionable symptoms in newborn chicks, 4 died, 1 left. Please help ASAP!

I believe it is coccidiosis. You said they had mites and the stress of the mites feeding on your birds can and will cause a coccidiosis out break. Any weakness, stress or illness will cause outbreaks even in mature flocks. Continue the corid at 5 days on, 5 days off, and 5 days on again. Baby can have it too. She can be reunited with mom since they are all being treated but at this point, mom might just be done with her broodiness now.

Hmmm..As soon as the sun is up..Get baby back with Momma ..She will either continue to Mother or have zero interest...Set up a Brooder..
Oh do you mean an area for both the mama hen and baby to be together within the coop, or more of a quarantined situation? I feel the other hens are ready to begin sleeping outside if need be! They’ve already roosted at night outside when I didn’t get them back to the Coop soon enough!

I have the baby chick currently inside our house in a cardboard box + screen with a heat lamp. I’m hoping I’d have an extension cord to run out long enough to the coop for the heat lamp.. I do like that idea of at least having them close,.... I’m so glad I decided to sign up and post on this website... thank you so much for your help and perspective!!!
Your welcome...Interference and stress from other flock members are hard on first time Broody Hens..
Try to get them together this morning...I hope she accepts her baby back?...

The mites you mentioned need treated (I'd do it with Ivermectin, myself), and the coop treated with a dusting. They can bleed a bird to death easily enough. I don't know if that was what killed the babies or not, but it certainly could have.

As for the spots of blood, the only thing I can think of that could cause them is pecking. Since it's Mama's first time, she may not have accepted the babies. It does happen, especially with first time mothers. If you reintroduce the remaining baby, I would do it when you can watch them like a hawk for an extended period of time. If she starts pecking the baby, separate them immediately. Then you'll have to think about finding another baby (or 3 or 4) somewhere to keep it company.

Oh do you mean an area for both the mama hen and baby to be together within the coop, or more of a quarantined situation? I feel the other hens are ready to begin sleeping outside if need be! They’ve already roosted at night outside when I didn’t get them back to the Coop soon enough!
Yes...I totally mean give them a separate place...

I believe it is coccidiosis. You said they had mites and the stress of the mites feeding on your birds can and will cause a coccidiosis out break. Any weakness, stress or illness will cause outbreaks even in mature flocks. Continue the corid at 5 days on, 5 days off, and 5 days on again. Baby can have it too. She can be reunited with mom since they are all being treated but at this point, mom might just be done with her broodiness now.

I could try RE-introducing the chick to mama right now while it’s dark and chilly for the chick? Mama is not sitting on nest anymore but still has ‘broody talk’ all day long. I feel there’s a chance she’d hop down from the roost and because it’s dark the baby will forget and me and warm up to mama?!

I could try RE-introducing the chick to mama right now while it’s dark and chilly for the chick? Mama is not sitting on nest anymore but still has ‘broody talk’ all day long. I feel there’s a chance she’d hop down from the roost and because it’s dark the baby will forget and me and warm up to mama?!

Or quarantine the baby chick within the coop...

Wait till morning she needs to be awake and you need to watch them..

Back
Top Bottom