Questionable symptoms in newborn chicks, 4 died, 1 left. Please help ASAP!

Pics

ChickenMama308

Songster
Mar 17, 2018
My 2 year old hen just had 5 chicks with a high mortality rate...

The newborn chick symptoms all came within a day or two of the chicks hatching:

- General weakness, tiredness, dozing off, low energy, limpness, closed eyes
- inability or lack of desire to eat / drink
- consistent yawn-like reflex of opening the mouth wide and up
- small amount of blood crusted on skin of inner eye corners or on the skin below the eyes, as well as a little bit of blood crusted at the bellybutton
- some would regain a bit of energy with sugar, salt, apple cider vinegar, nutri-drench etc water but weakness would set in again in waves getting worse each time for the most part

The first time I saw our hen get out of her nesting box with her newborn baby chicks there was one already dead - poor thing looked as if it was trampled / squished to death under her. There were 3 chicks left, and 2 seemed healthy and chipper but there was one who was alone / couldn't keep up and was dozing off and weak. He was frequently opening his mouth wide in a way that looked like yawning, or some kind of gag-like reflex reaction with opening the mouth wide and up. His eyes were closed the whole time I saw him, and body became fairly limp. There was a small amount of blood crusted on his skin outside the inner corners of his eyes. He wouldn't eat or drink. I brought him inside and tried to google the symptoms but nothing seemed to match or seem completely evident. He died shortly after. The next day it was another chick... All the same symptoms. I tried giving salt and sugar water to them with a dropper, but was never able to give him food. No pasty vent, but I did notice a small amount of crusted blood at the belly button. He went through waves of feeling better and then getting weak / closed eyes / mouth reflexing again etc. They died that evening. Same thing with the chick the next day, even with nutrid-rench and applecider vinegar in the water, and small amounts of yogurt fed. A small amount of blood on the skin under their eyes showed up closer to her death and there was small amounts of crusted blood at the bellybutton. They died as well. The last chick hatched later and I was better equipped and acted faster with her and have gotten her to a place today that though she has had weaker moments here and there, she has seemed so much better in the past 12 or so hours and has been able to eat solids - fresh garlic, yogurt, cooked egg yolk, medicated feed. She still would have slight moments of tiredness that didn't seem 100% normal, and once in a blue moon one of those yawns would come out after she would be sleeping / resting. There were red and black mites present on all of them, the least amount was found on the one i still have living.

The mama hen has had a relatively pale comb for the past months, and one of the other hens out of the 3 in the coop. The mama hen has seemed to have a bit of a loss of appetite recently but she's always been about half the size of the other Rhode Island Reds in comparison and she acted otherwise very normal and seemed healthy. I'm not sure what breed the mom / broody hen is, she was a wild chick I rescued from our property. From searching online though she looks as if she is a legbar or at least part legbar. I am not sure which rooster it was that inseminated her... there are about 4 different possibilities.

However, reading up on what could be happening, I was wondering if it may be Coccidiosis. Heeding all warnings and not wanting to lose her I went and bought Corid and have given her the dosage over the past 8 hours or so. I put Corid in the water for all the chickens, for our raised chickens as well as the wild chickens to drink. But now I'm wondering if I should even be giving Corid to the baby as well as everyone else. It's hard because I just want to make sure the little one makes it and obviously protect everyone else as well but I don't want to do the wrong thing. I'll probably take in a stool sample tomorrow, unfortunately it's an hour drive and it's been hard to juggle my everyday life with all of this. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or educated guesses as to what is going on as well as if you have any advice at all.

Thank you so much, I look forward to signing in again in the morning.

Some background info; We live in a rural area on an unfenced acre with a range of 10-20 wild chickens that roam our property (with newcomers visiting once in a while) and have personally raised 3 two year old hens in an outdoor fully mesh / open aired coop with sand and wood chip floors, and we began free-ranging them with the other wild chickens about 4 months ago. We live in Hawaii by the ocean - it doesn't get very cold here but it has been raining and some days there is lots of sun.

It was her first time hatching, and it’s possible she was picking them but I never noticed her doing so blatantly... and the last one that died I didn’t remember seeing blood under her eyes until after I had already separated them. Just the mama and babies were in the coop during the day, the 2 other hens would join them as it got dark to sleep. Food was closeby but I mostly saw the mother hen showing them how to search for food via scratching at the floor of the coop. I have medicated feed for them but they didn’t even make it around to having any in time before they were too weak and I had brought them inside one by one over the course of a few days.

It was her first time hatching, and it’s possible she was picking them but I never noticed her doing so blatantly... and the last one that died I didn’t remember seeing blood under her eyes until after I had already separated them. Just the mama and babies were in the coop during the day, the 2 other hens would join them as it got dark to sleep. Food was closeby but I mostly saw the mother hen showing them how to search for food via scratching at the floor of the coop. I have medicated feed for them but they didn’t even make it around to having any in time before they were too weak and I had brought them inside one by one over the course of a few days.
Darn eh?...Sorry that happened..

I remember noticing the mama hen doing what looked like inspecting the blood in the corner of the eyes, but she may have picked / pecked at them.
Highly possible with first time Mommas. Some can be a bit stupid the first time and excellent the second time around..Roxy my One Hen killed one her first time. She had 12 so I sold 6 and she raised 5..

Assuming the chick continues doing really well I would also love to reunite the mama hen and baby as soon as possible in hopes she’ll raise her, ive been allowing them to communicate to each other but not touch. I plan to completely clean out and disinfect the coop tomorrow and as of now I am on the Corid program for the chick as well as all the hens etc so waiting on that unless the corid / cocci self-diagnosis turns out to be incorrect...

Highly possible with first time Mommas. Some can be a bit stupid the first time and excellent the second time around..Roxy my One Hen killed one her first time. She had 12 so I sold 6 and she raised 5..

Yeah I did notice her doing some thoughtless things unfortunately, such as accidentally kicking / burying the babies while scratching.

But even if the blood was from her picking at them I still need to figure out what else is going on judging from the symptoms so I can make a good plan for the day!! I feel like a lot of the external factors for having cocci including the weather conditions, rain and heat and sand plus wood chips, wild chickens, some wet areas in the coop and hen pale wattles could point to cocci but nothing so severe, only in the chicks, but never blood stool at least that I ever saw.

Assuming the chick continues doing really well I would also love to reunite the mama hen and baby as soon as possible in hopes she’ll raise her, ive been allowing them to communicate to each other but not touch. I plan to completely clean out and disinfect the coop tomorrow and as of now I am on the Corid program for the chick as well as all the hens etc so waiting on that unless the corid / cocci self-diagnosis turns out to be incorrect...
I would reunite them and fingers crossed it works. The longer you wait the higher the chances of her not to take it back. It's a gamble. My one Hen is raising a single Chick right now. I keep them separate from the flock to cut out any stress to the Hen and put them back with the flock once Momma is totally stress free and raises Baby..
At about 5 to 10 days old..

Back
Top Bottom