Questions on Framing

im getting better handy - wise. I had no experience for years, im the only girl in a family of 6. and I didnt like being in the way, but I've been doing crash courses in a lot of things. I've built an (abite, horrible looking) rat racks, and a large chameleon cage.

Tools, I have a lot of stuff, including a milter saw, which we got when we moved to the property. though we have yet to get a generic table saw. I am on a bit of a budget but also want to make sure it lasts.

I was planning to do Smart Side Panel Siding as the exterior though i am unsure if i need a (?) sheathing (?) to put on the wall underneath the siding? I also had planned to paint the inside and originally was going to do linolium inside. though someone said no to linoleum?

Smartside can be nailed directly to studs, no need for sheathing underneath. I've not used the product before, I used Hardieboard which has much to recommend it, but brings problems of its own.

In any event, I'll keep that in mind when doing the layout, to ensure you have a nailing surface available where the edges meet, and try to minimize scrap panels. Have you also picked out a roof material (other than "metal") so I can look up sheet widths and lengths?

Smartside can be nailed directly to studs, no need for sheathing underneath. I've not used the product before, I used Hardieboard which has much to recommend it, but brings problems of its own.

In any event, I'll keep that in mind when doing the layout, to ensure you have a nailing surface available where the edges meet, and try to minimize scrap panels. Have you also picked out a roof material (other than "metal") so I can look up sheet widths and lengths?

Roofing Material I picked 10ft because i was hopefully going to have a 2ft overhang on all sides so i have cover. I was also going to go lengthwise with the siding.

like this ...
siding.jpg

well i still would be extreamly appreciative. i really do wish there was a easy(ish) course for generic building.

OK, I got the web based program to load this AM, since I couldn't get the software to download correctly last night. Walls are framed. I see I asked the question poorly re: roof, but not that because your wall is 15' long in the dimension where the roof falls, a 2x6x16 board (these are heavy, btw - maybe 40# each, and you will be working on a pair of ladders, most likely, only give you about 6" overhang front and back - that's a problem, because of that large hardware clothed "window" at the front of the coop. GREAT ventilation, no chance of being drafty on the birds, but no overhang to speak of against wind blown rains. We are going to have to come up with "something" to address that. Going to look at what they stock at your big box store of choice, see if anything suggests itself.

Redding CA Lowes has 2x6x20 Fir for a not unreasonable price. Going to frame your roof with that, and a combination of 3x12 and 3x8 corrugated 5v metal panels using an (probably) 8" overlap. They should weigh about 30# each, you can cut them on the ground, raise one end to the tall wall, then walk the other end up a ladder next to the short wall, set it in place. Lay purlins across that, and then screw down the metal roofing panels. Finishing up now.

Back
Top Bottom