Quick Quesitons about Diatomaceous Earth, Worming, Dust Baths

skiracer

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Last year, I had trouble with Mites of some sort. Itchy when i even entered the run. Should I use Diatomaceous Earth this year?

Put some food grade DE in a dust bath for them?

What else should i put in the Dust bath? Ratios?

Should I worm my chickens? Can I do it? how often?

Eat eggs while I'm using DE?

Eat eggs no earlier than 7 days after worming?

Did my mites come from a rainy summer and a wet, muddy run?

Thanks

- Total NEW EGG!

I always sprinkle a little DE in all the areas my chickens love to dust bathe.
If you choose to sprinkle some in their food, you do not have to 'wait' to eat the eggs since it's not a chemical.
You may also want to sprinkle some DE inside the coop and in the nest boxes if you have a mite problem.
If the problem gets out of hand, sprinkle some Seven dust in all areas.

mites come from their shavings .. i use wood ash with my hens when you try to get rid of mites you need to clean the birds out get rid of the shavings spray the the hen house with warm water and soap put new shavings down and puts some more ash wood on the shavings and do the birds with it i leave a dust bath in a big square dish for them to go in it anytime so it will keep the mites away and if you don't get rid of the mites it can kill your birds do this and tell me how it goes .. i used this on my ee he had it pretty bad wasn't eating or drinking and i used wood ash on him and the next day .. today he is already eating and drinking and made a new friend so it works

Thanks for the help. This Community rules.

I think I've seen photos around the site, but can I make an area that they'll dust bath in? as in a box? or do they only do it where they choose?

Would anyone recommend a combination of DE + wood ashes + dirt/sand?

or only Wood ash or only sand or ect...?

Thanks

Thanks for the help. This Community rules.

I think I've seen photos around the site, but can I make an area that they'll dust bath in? as in a box? or do they only do it where they choose?

Would anyone recommend a combination of DE + wood ashes + dirt/sand?

or only Wood ash or only sand or ect...?

Thanks
my friend uses wood ashes and black dirt to make a really good dust bath but if its just for mites i just use wood ashes i use and old cat litter box lol and they will dust bath in there if they want but they usually do it anywhere's if its more dust or loose dirt or in the sun to sun bath its really just up to them but you can still put that down and they might dust bath in it

Back
Top Bottom