Quick question- how much run space do bantam breeds need?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!
The spoiler is really just my thoughts, lol, you can read it if you like. :p
I have been planning my chicken tractor build for next spring. So far, were planning on a 10x10 or 10x8 tractor. Part of the tractor will be covered so they can roost there, but basically the whole thing will the the coop, and run. Anyway, I will post plans on here later and see what you guys think! :)
Otherwise, in the tractor space, we will only be able to get 8-10 standard sized chickens. I am okay with it, and am willing to have less chickens, so that I can abandon the stationary coop setup, its definitely a sacrifice I am willing to make. Then I thought, maybe I will be able to have more chickens in the space if I get all or mostly bantam breeds.

So lastly, how much room do bantam breeds need in the run? Is it the same as standard, or will I be able to get 1-2 more birds in the space if I choose bantam breeds? I tried to find info on Google, but all I saw was 2 square feet and I am pretty sure it was talking about the coop space. I am willing to do all bantam breeds to if I can get more hens out of it. Thanks for the help!

Okay thank you! So they have half of the minimum room as standard sized. So, I bet since standard sized are a minimum of 8, and bantam are 4, then I could get 2-3 more birds if I do get bantams possibly. I'll defiantly give them more room then 4 feet though. I'll go with 5 feet for each bantam At least.
You can never go wrong with extra space. Security is the big issue here. And as someone already mentioned, if you're free-ranging them for a long time each day, you could sacrifice a bit of run space.

Oh, and what about a standard rooster with the bantam hens? Is that login to be a problem? I don't want anyone to get squashed, 😂 !
What kind of bantam? many are smaller than others!

I'd say you could get a couple more hens out of it, maybe more.

I personally would not risk a standard roo with them. they could easily get hurt. A bantam roo would be a better option.

They will be bale to free range a lot in the summer. Its just the winter that we have to keep them in more often because of nosey predators.
Otherwise, I will defiantly try to get them out as much as I can, so I think a run airing on the small side will be okay. Thank you! I will keep you guys updated on my decisions bantam vs. Standard. Thanks!
Great! Call me nosey, but I'm always interested in everyone else's chicken decisions ;)

Oh, and what about a standard rooster with the bantam hens? Is that login to be a problem? I don't want anyone to get squashed, 😂 !
I'm going to presume you mean 'going' ;)
I think a standard rooster could be a bit too big, if I'm honest, but if you have plenty of hens hopefully the squashing will be reasonably shared around! Just, if you do get one, maybe be prepared to rehome if there are issues. Hope that's helpful!

As for the run size, I know this is cliche, but as much space as you can give! As a minimum I think the recommendation is 4 sq. ft.

I would be leery of a standard roo with Bantam hens. My experience with an Iowa Blue rooster -- who could have romanced any of more than a dozen other hens while free ranging -- was that Sir Henry the Loud still tried to breed my tiny Cochin Bantam girls.

He is no longer allowed free range when Gabby and Sally are outside; he is fine inside a 3-foot-by-10 foot run while they are loose. They spend most of their days with their run door open -- weather permitting and not this week when we are facing a blizzard and sub-zero temps, so I don't worry that their run is far from 4 square foot per bird, probably closer to 2.

I'm going to presume you mean 'going' ;)
I think a standard rooster could be a bit too big, if I'm honest, but if you have plenty of hens hopefully the squashing will be reasonably shared around! Just, if you do get one, maybe be prepared to rehome if there are issues. Hope that's helpful!

As for the run size, I know this is cliche, but as much space as you can give! As a minimum I think the recommendation is 4 sq. ft.
Okay thank you! So they have half of the minimum room as standard sized. So, I bet since standard sized are a minimum of 8, and bantam are 4, then I could get 2-3 more birds if I do get bantams possibly. I'll defiantly give them more room then 4 feet though. I'll go with 5 feet for each bantam At least.

What kind of bantam? many are smaller than others!

I'd say you could get a couple more hens out of it, maybe more.

I personally would not risk a standard roo with them. they could easily get hurt. A bantam roo would be a better option.
I really don't know yet what kinds, I am going to stay away from the larger breeds, and try to sway on the smaller bantam size really. Then, more birds, and less stuffing them in a tractor.
I won't put my standard too with them then. Now I just have to find out what to do with 2 standard roosters, when I was hoping one would go with the tractor flock. Lol! Thanks for all the help!

You can never go wrong with extra space. Security is the big issue here. And as someone already mentioned, if you're free-ranging them for a long time each day, you could sacrifice a bit of run space.
They will be bale to free range a lot in the summer. Its just the winter that we have to keep them in more often because of nosey predators.
Otherwise, I will defiantly try to get them out as much as I can, so I think a run airing on the small side will be okay. Thank you! I will keep you guys updated on my decisions bantam vs. Standard. Thanks!

Great! Call me nosey, but I'm always interested in everyone else's chicken decisions ;)
I will keep you updated! I have to say, I am really excited to ditch the stationary coop. Our setup for ti wasn't working. It was a mucky mess. I think that this tractor moving forward will be much better. Thanks for your opinions!

Back
Top Bottom