Quit eating the Chicken poop!!!

Well folks i must say that i definitely have some peace of mind by now knowing that our dogs will be fine after enjoying chicken poopies
sickbyc.gif
(Yuk) but also that we are not the only ones having to experience this. I really appreciate the shared stories and the info.
thumbsup.gif

I had to build a dog-proof litter box for the cats. Dog can eat all the chicken poo he wants, but I don't want him in the litter box at all.

Totally know that issue all to well.
There are things I could have gone my whole life never knowing and dogs in the cat box is pretty high on the list of things I find I could do without.

I put the cat box in the spare room and replaced the door with plywood and a hole cut in it for the cat.

The vet said he could give me stuff to put in the cats food that would make the poop taste bad.

I kind of thought it should already taste bad.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:Actually, chickens do eat their own poo and I would be very surprised if yours don't. Chickens are a bit crap at digesting food, so they will quite happily pick out any undigested bits that they can find. They also seem to enjoy the more liquid types of poo which get swept up in a matter of seconds. It is apparently also common for momma hens to eat their chicks' crap as it has lots of nutrients left in it.

Quote:
Oh my goodness...well I have yet to see the hens eating their poop. I watch them often and they walk around, look at it and even seem to smell it then turn their noses up at it and walk away. Same for the doggie poo. You may very well be right...I just hope i don't see it lol. YUK!!

Our dogs love chicken poop it never effects them though.one time they where free ranging, I went outside and they where eating dog poop I shood them away and picked it up,that only happened once thank goodness

My dog is a big chicken poop eater as well. I don't know if there are any worms or other internal parasites that dogs can pick up from chicken poop, but that is my main reason for shouting "YUCK! DON'T TOUCH" when my dog goes in for the nasty snack. I have read that you can add cayenne pepper to your chicken's feed to help break this habit. The cayenne pepper isn't tasted by the chickens and goes straight through their system but makes the poop taste nasty to the dog (not that I can imagine it being other than nasty, but dogs...go figure).

My dog is a big chicken poop eater as well. I don't know if there are any worms or other internal parasites that dogs can pick up from chicken poop, but that is my main reason for shouting "YUCK! DON'T TOUCH" when my dog goes in for the nasty snack. I have read that you can add cayenne pepper to your chicken's feed to help break this habit. The cayenne pepper isn't tasted by the chickens and goes straight through their system but makes the poop taste nasty to the dog (not that I can imagine it being other than nasty, but dogs...go figure).

Oh Wow... Really, cayenne pepper huh? You know i just might try that. I'm learning more and more that the chicken poop probably won't hurt our dogs but honestly I think I'd feel much better if they didn't eat it on a regular basis lol. So the cayenne pepper will have no negative effects on the hens? Hmm, i just may try this, thank you.

This is why I never, ever let a dog lick me. There's too many kinds of poop around here for them to eat. I swear we could make a feed cycle of who eats who else's poop.
Ditto...butt lickin', turd eaters...lol!

Quote: Um, I don't think so....I believe most avian parasites(worms, lice, mites) cannot survive on canine or human physiology.
There are some pathogens tho, like salmonella, that live in chickens and can make humans sick....so hygiene is important.

Back
Top Bottom