Quit smoking today, anyone feelin my grrrr?

Thats funny, today is my day too. I have the Chantix here somewhere. It makes me puke everytime i smoke. It worked 2years ago, found a breast lump and went and bought a carton. I know that really makes no sense--but helped through all the stress of testing. My big fear is now I am 25 lbs heavier--thanks to menopause what more will this add on??? Any suggestions to lose weight while quitting?

I'm a recent quitter as well. Think I gave it up in March/April. I used the lozenges (Wally World brand was cheap and worked good). I was too much of a wuss to use the patch. Didn't want the screwed up dreams I heard so much about. Eventually the lozenge became a replacement for a smoke. If I got the urge I popped one into my mouth. I did a box of the 4mg and then did 2 boxes of the 2mg. I still wanted them, but two days in a row I forgot them at home and managed to make it all day without them. After that I stopped using those and have been good since.

Good luck! It sucks, but it is worth it in the end.

Can I just say thank you?!?! And good luck! I know it is very very hard but I cannot count on one hand the number of family members I have lost to smoking. It breaks my heart to know that my chidlren will never know my parents because they never quit.
hit.gif

AND, I have asthma. Never used to and it doesn't fit my self image, but there it is. I have it. And cigarette smoke is a major trigger. I know people have the "right" to smoke, but I am endlessly having to hold my breath to go into buildings
duc.gif
or having to move my table
rant.gif
or sucking on an inhaler after simply walking behind someone who is smoking. So thank you! I am grateful to everyone who quits!!!!
bow.gif
thumbsup.gif

Like Jason Aldean's song says: "keep quittin' til it sticks". Each time you go for the glory, it strengthens you! This time you can do it.

It gets better.

One way I've looked at it is: A week in, and in the midst of a big Grrrr craving, "I can't waste that week."

Also, don't sweat the odd bummed smoke if you fall off the wagon. Just don't buy a pack!

Take a deep breath every time you get all wound up, and consciously try to relax. I hate being told to relax, but it's true.

Remember: Smokers smell gross, and can't smell it themselves. And isn't it nice waking up in the morning and not feel like you've been licking an ashtray all night?

Weight gain is linked to substituting munchies for smokes. Find something else to do with your hands. Keep water nearby at all times to satiate that manual-oral fixation.

Cram that $9+ in a jar everyday and watch it multiply... that'll be a very tangible incentive, and proper savings for a coop.
smile.png

Good luck, and Finish Strong!

yippiechickie.gif
Yes, you CAN do it!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I was blessed with the best incentive to quit, after about 15 years of a pack-a-day habit I got pregnant. I quit immediately and had a lovely distraction from any cravings. Since then I've been tempted when times got tough but I know it would never be that easy to quit again.

And now I'm such a cheapskate I couldn't imagine paying that much for a pack of cigs! There's a LOT you could do instead with all that money, build yourself a marvelous coop (name it "The Ashtray") and stock it with show birds. When you get a craving log on here & we'll cheer you on!

I want to add that the best thing about quitting is finally being free from HAVING to smoke. I think it would be great if you could only smoke when you wanted to, instead of when you have to. But it's such a powerfully addicting drug that those cravings smack you at inopportune times. I remember being distracted in church or a show, anxious for it to end so I could get up & have a smoke.

The worst thing was I refused a trip with my Mom to her hometown before she died, because I knew I couldn't smoke while I was with her. I could have encouraged her to go, and she would have if I had gone with her, but I chose cigarettes instead. Now that seems like such a terrible waste of a wonderful opportunity. I'm sorry, Mom.

Back
Top Bottom