R-com 50 incubator lockdown question

PetRock

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
I am due to lock down my second batch of eggs using a borrowed R-com 50 incubator. The eggs incubate on their sides for the first 18 days. With the first batch I hatched, on day 18 I put the eggs large end up in cut down paper egg cartons. Quite a few of the eggs pipped and tried to zip at or below the egg carton edge. With this batch, I am thinking about just turning off the turner and letting them hatch laying down on the egg tray. Those of you who use this incubator, what has been your experience and what do you recommend? Lockdown is set to begin in 7 hours!
smile.png

Last edited:
I left mine in the frame thing that sits in the bottom, on their sides. They don't roll around. I might try egg cartons in it, though, I never thought of that.
Chicks pipping below the carton edge should be fine. They only crack the shell, they don't try to climb out the side. I had some do this (in a different incubator) last year, they were fine.

I left mine in the frame thing that sits in the bottom, on their sides. They don't roll around. I might try egg cartons in it, though, I never thought of that.
Chicks pipping below the carton edge should be fine. They only crack the shell, they don't try to climb out the side. I had some do this (in a different incubator) last year, they were fine.
Thank you for the advice! I locked down 25 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock eggs last night and left them on their sides in the tray thing. They are due to hatch on Sunday. I will report back on how they do!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom