1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit Fur Mite Treatment?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shadow rabbit10, Jan 1, 2017.

1. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I just found out my Holland Lop has fur mites... Great. Anyways I've been reading a lot of people recommend Ivermectin to treat, but I was wondering if I should use the topical treatment, liquid, or paste and what dosage? Also don't know if I should use anything to treat the hutch? I don't think my other rabbits have caught it yet but I'm guessing I should just treat them in case? Any advice is appreciated.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My only experience with rabbit fur mites was I bought a boxer puppy who had them. Strange, but the whole litter had them. I took her to the vet for a shot of ivermec once a week for 3 weeks. The breeder was going to give me some frontline to use but my vet recommended the shots, so both will work. I'm not too familiar with rabbits so I don't know if the topical is a concern as far as the rabbit grooming itself. You will have to wait for rabbit people to hopefully give you a better answer.

3. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    I've heard that rubbing cooking oil on it works. None of my rabbits have ever had mites, so i don't know for sure. Try to determine what caused the mites, and quarentine the infected rabbit. Disinfect the infected rabbit's cage and food and water bowls.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Revolution is usually what we use for small exotic pets. Ivermectin injections will only work if the insects are sucking blood. There are both mites and lice that can affect rabbits so I would recommend a trip to a vet to help you determine exactly what is affecting the bunny.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    When one of my rabbit had fur mites, I treated him by dripping some pour-on Ivermectin (brand name Ivermax, sold for cattle) onto the skin behind his neck. The mites cleared up quickly. I used the cattle dosage, which was 1 ml per 22 pounds of body weight. For a 8.5 pound rabbit, that was about .38 ml.

1 person likes this.
  6. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I wish I knew what caused the mites because my rabbits never leave my property anymore, and so far it looks like only one rabbit has it. I'm wondering if the bedding I bought could have been contaminated. I've had them for about 8 years and have never had an issue (I even used to show them and never got mites). I am pretty sure he has fur mites. They're not burrowing, but they're causing the skin to come off in nasty clumps and are feeding off of it. Looks like I might have to make a vet appointment or see if I can find some Ivermectin.

7. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Maybe. Have you switched bedding brands/types recently? If it was the bedding, probably more than just one rabbit would be infected.

8. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

If my buns have EAR mites... I just do some olive/avocado oil in their ears [​IMG]

9. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    One of the breeders I bought my buns from recommended tea tree oil for minor ear mites or sores. Anyone have experience with it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by