Rabbit Fur Mite Treatment?

shadow rabbit10

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
New Jersey
So I just found out my Holland Lop has fur mites... Great. Anyways I've been reading a lot of people recommend Ivermectin to treat, but I was wondering if I should use the topical treatment, liquid, or paste and what dosage? Also don't know if I should use anything to treat the hutch? I don't think my other rabbits have caught it yet but I'm guessing I should just treat them in case? Any advice is appreciated.

My only experience with rabbit fur mites was I bought a boxer puppy who had them. Strange, but the whole litter had them. I took her to the vet for a shot of ivermec once a week for 3 weeks. The breeder was going to give me some frontline to use but my vet recommended the shots, so both will work. I'm not too familiar with rabbits so I don't know if the topical is a concern as far as the rabbit grooming itself. You will have to wait for rabbit people to hopefully give you a better answer.

I've heard that rubbing cooking oil on it works. None of my rabbits have ever had mites, so i don't know for sure. Try to determine what caused the mites, and quarentine the infected rabbit. Disinfect the infected rabbit's cage and food and water bowls.

Revolution is usually what we use for small exotic pets. Ivermectin injections will only work if the insects are sucking blood. There are both mites and lice that can affect rabbits so I would recommend a trip to a vet to help you determine exactly what is affecting the bunny.

When one of my rabbit had fur mites, I treated him by dripping some pour-on Ivermectin (brand name Ivermax, sold for cattle) onto the skin behind his neck. The mites cleared up quickly. I used the cattle dosage, which was 1 ml per 22 pounds of body weight. For a 8.5 pound rabbit, that was about .38 ml.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I wish I knew what caused the mites because my rabbits never leave my property anymore, and so far it looks like only one rabbit has it. I'm wondering if the bedding I bought could have been contaminated. I've had them for about 8 years and have never had an issue (I even used to show them and never got mites). I am pretty sure he has fur mites. They're not burrowing, but they're causing the skin to come off in nasty clumps and are feeding off of it. Looks like I might have to make a vet appointment or see if I can find some Ivermectin.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I wish I knew what caused the mites because my rabbits never leave my property anymore, and so far it looks like only one rabbit has it. I'm wondering if the bedding I bought could have been contaminated. I've had them for about 8 years and have never had an issue (I even used to show them and never got mites). I am pretty sure he has fur mites. They're not burrowing, but they're causing the skin to come off in nasty clumps and are feeding off of it. Looks like I might have to make a vet appointment or see if I can find some Ivermectin.
Maybe. Have you switched bedding brands/types recently? If it was the bedding, probably more than just one rabbit would be infected.

If my buns have EAR mites... I just do some olive/avocado oil in their ears
big_smile.png

One of the breeders I bought my buns from recommended tea tree oil for minor ear mites or sores. Anyone have experience with it?

Back
Top Bottom