Rabbit meat in chicken food ok?

Chicona

Chirping
May 22, 2022
I saw a guide replacing fish meal with chicken meat meal successfully due to fish toxins

I go rabbiting there meat has more protien and less fat but more cholesterol and a lot more minerals in higher amounts like zink mg etc than chicken

I know protein will be thanked but cholestoel higher and lower fats ? I’m not sure ?
I have an abundance of it so

Last edited:
What proportion of the diet would fish meal normally comprise? Not sure what your recipe is or if you are using the chickens for meat or eggs. I'm not sure what is going on with yours. Do they forage or are you providing everything they eat?

As long as it is fed in the same proportion as fish meal I see no problem with using rabbit meat instead of fish meal. If given a chance chickens will eat mice, frogs, and small snakes. Most never get fish or fish meal in "chicken feed" anyway. You are right, there is a lot more to their diet than just protein, but I would not worry about the differences in trace elements in the various types of meat.

My one thought is that rabbit meat is very lean, no real fat. If your chickens are for eggs, egg yolks are about 1/3 fat. They need a certain minimum amount of fat in their diet. Are they getting that fat from some other source?

What proportion of the diet would fish meal normally comprise? Not sure what your recipe is or if you are using the chickens for meat or eggs. I'm not sure what is going on with yours. Do they forage or are you providing everything they eat?

As long as it is fed in the same proportion as fish meal I see no problem with using rabbit meat instead of fish meal. If given a chance chickens will eat mice, frogs, and small snakes. Most never get fish or fish meal in "chicken feed" anyway. You are right, there is a lot more to their diet than just protein, but I would not worry about the differences in trace elements in the various types of meat.

My one thought is that rabbit meat is very lean, no real fat. If your chickens are for eggs, egg yolks are about 1/3 fat. They need a certain minimum amount of fat in their diet. Are they getting that fat from some other source?
Chickens some are eggers
But mainly feeding my herratige meaters

The fish meal in soy free blends is 10% for the protine but I don’t like the fish meal as is was pee and poo and metal contaminated so rabbit is the most organic way I can think to add it to em
There main grain is corn wheat oats so the corn adds fat a lot too

Back
Top Bottom