Raccoon Attack, please help!

I'm really not sure about what happened to this raccoon, we trapped it and I wanted to set it free somewhere far away but I came home from work on Monday and the raccoon was gone, I asked my boyfriend and brother what they did with it and they wont tell me. So I'm assuming they took care of it some way or another.
And yes the boys will be redoing the little house for the ducks, it's more traumatic for me than it is for the ducks so a good scrub and paint to cover anything that might be left should be good.
Where would i find this heavy duty cloth?
hardware cloth is actually wire with holes so small the racoon cannot stick the paws through, it is made with different size holes..... Lowes and home depot, any hardware store or ag store

Last edited:
Many hardware or farm and fleet stores should carry that for you. It's Hardware cloth and 1/4 inch is a nice gauge to get. It's not cheap.
hmm.png

Please be careful when dealing with racoons! I had a coon get into my duck pen 6 weeks ago and attack my female pekin. My dogs started barking like crazy and I was able to stop the attack. We shot the coon, and had it tested for rabies, since rabies is so prevalent in our area. Sure enough, it tested positive and since I handled my pet duck after her injury and was exposed to the raccoon's saliva, I had to undergo rabies vaccinations for 5 weeks. $4000 later and a still injured duck, it has been a rough time. Protect your ducks, and please protect yourself. Do not touch anything without strong rubber gloves when dealing with these rabies prone animals. So sorry for the loss of your duck. I have lost ducks in the past and it is heartbreaking. Still hoping that my girl gets better, but her injury is breaking my heart too. Best of luck with your other ducks!

Many hardware or farm and fleet stores should carry that for you. It's Hardware cloth and 1/4 inch is a nice gauge to get. It's not cheap.
hmm.png
I don't know if it was emphasized here, but you want the metal hardware cloth. Some places sell a plastic poultry fence that they call a hardware cloth, and that has led to some duck deaths I am aware of. So get the metal stuff.

Cath892 is your duckgarage close enough so you could use a baby monitor to hear what is going on. I know some chicken folks use them - if they aren't heavy sleepers they can hear the beginnings of an attack, noise,, frantic running around etc. Have a gun handy. So sorry about Dixie.

Well the garage is an actual garage it's built like a house so i know they will be completely safe in there until their outdoor cage is rebuilt

Back
Top Bottom