Raccoon coming at dusk

I have several game cameras up on my property and see many different predators especially at night when they roam here including coons. They know the electric wires are up and so far haven't tried to get to my birds. Good luck...
DSCF0002317T 03.jpg
IMAG00011014 06.jpg

I have a young raccoon that’s been coming around the past several nights. He came in the middle of the night the first time and got in the coop because my daughter accidentally blocked the automatic door with the ramp after it fell down. Fortunately, i woke up to the sound of distressed chickens and only 2 of the 11 were barely injured (heads were a little bloody, one hash a squinty eye). The next few nights, he keeps coming earlier, right at dusk before the door has shut. I have been home to chase him off but I’m afraid he’s going to be successful one of these times. I can set the coop door to close earlier but I’m afraid all the chickens won’t go in to roost by the time it closes and they’ll be locked out.

I know one solution is trapping him but I’m afraid I won’t have time before I leave to go out of town on Tuesday. Then if I do trap him, what do I do with him? Ultimately, I’m sure another raccoon will take his place, so I guess I want to figure out how to make all the chickens roost earlier. The one that was attacked a second time in the coop, is understandably wary of going in the coop now and seems to be the last to roost.
Poultry netting is probably what you need. Easy to setup around perimeter and will give them a good shock.

Back
Top Bottom