Raccoon Control

Embuck

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
So, I have a raccoon problem. I'm pretty sure a raccoon got into my chick flock and took out several chicks.
Problem One. The yards are large, and totally not raccoon proof-able.
Problem Two. A hunter/trapped friend of ours referred to the number of coons as a "bazillion."
I know one way of prevention is coon proofing yards and houses. The house is coon proof, but the yard isn't. It's large, so even if I redid the fence (Not happening!) I couldn't cover the top. And since the cornerposts are large, solid wood posts, it would be easy for a coon to climb.
I would put out traps, but I don't really want to waste my breath killing raccoons, since more will just come. What I'm saying is, I'm after a more permanent solution.
That being said, we killed two or three coons that were getting into the layer house a while back. But we also fixed the window where they were getting in. There haven't been any problems there for a while.
I probably will set a trap, however. We've never had problems with coons and chicks before, but I can't help thinking that now that the coons have discovered the chicks, they'll just keep coming back.
Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Your solution is to run hot wire held close to the fence with insulators around the entire perimeter and along the top of the fence. I have every sort of predator from bear, lion to foxes and bobcats. They will come in, inspect the fence for vulnerabilities, encounter the hot wire (10, 000 volts) and get a strong message, and they never return. It helps to bait the wire with peanut butter.

You're right - a hot wire is probably the way to go. Would it matter too much if it wasn't around the perimeter - just around the top? There are intersecting fences and things. And heavy undergrowth in one side of the yard, which isn't really accessible without climbing over the fence.
I will definitely set traps.
The attack was actually during the daytime - well, late afternoon.
I looked into other possible predators, but raccoons were pretty much the only ones that fit with the evidence.
Come to think of it, we store canisters of rotting organic matter in an open concrete shed, while they're waiting to go through the shredder. Coons got in there a while back and we trapped three or four, and haven't had a problem since.

Your solution is to run hot wire held close to the fence with insulators around the entire perimeter and along the top of the fence. I have every sort of predator from bear, lion to foxes and bobcats. They will come in, inspect the fence for vulnerabilities, encounter the hot wire (10, 000 volts) and get a strong message, and they never return. It helps to bait the wire with peanut butter.

Will a hot wire work on top of a fence if the critter not touching dirt, grounded?

Gary

Good point. Probably not. I've seen birds sitting on the hot wire with no effect. However, the usual practice is to run two wires at different heights around the perimeter. They will need to encounter at least one of those while still on the ground. You need to be aware of what predators you have and how tall they are, then install wires at those heights. My top wire is for bears that stand on two feet and examine the top wire before proceeding to climb over the fence. But they usually encounter the peanut butter on the first two wires first. I've watched with great satisfaction how they taste and run off.

Good point. I think a raccoon could circumvent an electric wire, if it wanted to. The chick yard shares a fence with the garden and a fence with an unused yard, which in turn shares a fence with the pig yard... so, not sure how a hot wire would work out. I'll have to take another look at the fences.

The wire need top be at predator nose height. A top wire is practically irrelevant. Yes the animal needs to be grounded. There are ways to solve that.

But E fences are a mental barrier. And they feel like a flick or a pinch. But they aren't expecting it so it startles them, especially if it gets the soft fleshy part. My directions says if it hits in front of the eyes they will back up, behind they will lunge forward. I rather stop them before they make it to the top of the fence.

Plenty of predators hunt in the day, including fox and great horned owl, but yes also the sneaky little raccoon beasts. :barnie

You might even consider e netting for a smaller area than the perimeter.

It's best to have a safe coop and run large enough for your flock to stay sane when they need to be 'on lockdown' while you are taking care of a new predator, or discouraging repeat raptor visitations. At other times, it's great to have a large 'free range' area, and perimeter electric fencing is the best. Mary

Back
Top Bottom