Raccoon proof coop

As a non-carpenter, I wonder if reframing it would be best. Take that roof off, and add 24" vertical extensions to the framing on the high side, and then reroof it. instant height, added ventilation, and no issues with snow.
Mary

If you could consider the entire structure as their coop, and have the door (where is it?) to the 'run' open all the time, then there's more space, ventilation, and in winter, rolled vinyl sheeting over the lower walls will make it comfortable.
That roof is concerning; is it framed with snow load in mind? Either fix it now, or get out there at 2am during snowstorms this winter...
Mary

I like the idea of having the whole structure work as their “coop” as long as it’s secure enough. The roof is not what I would have chosen either... I am sure I will do quite a bit of wee hour shoveling! I guess the upside to be given a coop is that it is free, sort of, and I am learning all the things I want to do differently for the next one.

IMO 1/2" is fine for coons, they can attack by reaching through fence openings but obviously their little hands are bigger than 1/2". 1/2" hwc also generally is made of thicker wire than 1/4", so a little better against larger animals that are trying to breech.
I agree. 1/2” is strong especially when it’s screwed in. And by all means zap em and forget em with an electric barrier. I have a system designed and marketed for dogs but it delivers a jolt and a half.

Back
Top Bottom