Raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hobbit1123, May 16, 2011.

1. hobbit1123

hobbit1123 New Egg

Feb 27, 2011
    so this past weekend I went out to feed our chickens and raccoons had gotten to all 6 of them [​IMG] I know we shouldn't get attached but I did so I was so upset this whole weekend...DH and I are supposed to go sometime today to get new chickens and while I'm working he's going to fix the coop

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Start trapping! You more than likely don't have just one, but at least a few of them. I keep a trap set all summer long. So far three in 2 weeks along with another unwanted "guest". All dispatched. The trap hasn't been tripped in 2 weeks now so time to move it to another problem area.

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:x2, you'll want to reinforce and trap, they found the buffet and will be back...

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Just the name of the topic screams 'AHHH!' I hate raccoons

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:a lot of times there are 3-4 most times 5-6 trap until they quit getting in the traps I set out as many as I can the first coupla nights then move them a little and try again for a coupla nights

6. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Because of low fur prices there aren't as many trappers around anymore - and there is no one keeping the pedators in check - I keep a couple leg hold traps always set around the perimeter of my chicken coop - they are on guard duty day and night- usually an animal will walk around the coop looking for a way to get in - that's when they get caught - I then shoot them in the head with a .22 - coons are particularly bad - their front paws are almost like hands and they can do all kind of things with them -

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:the same political reasons that caused the "fur boom" of the 70's is about to happen again difference is a lot of folks do not know how to trap now [​IMG]

8. hobbit1123

hobbit1123 New Egg

Feb 27, 2011
    thanks guys...looks like I'm gonna have to go get some traps

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Surcooksalot

Surcooksalot New Egg