Raccoons

MusketeerinFla

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
A couple of nights ago, I had set a live trap to catch a feral cat that comes about causing trouble. I set the trap ,baiting it with tuna fish and placed cut palmetto fronds all about the cage. I went back in a few hours and there was a large raccoon in the cage! He was spitting mad too! He had pulled all the fronds into the cage and shredded them. If I came near the cage, he would bare his teeth, snarl, and bite at the inside of the cage! I took this opportunity to show my wife that raccoons are not the cute little woodland creatures she saw in the cartoons. I stuck the muzzle of my .44 revolver into the cage and shot him dead. There was no way I was going to let that thing out...he'd try to get me ! I've lost pets and chickens to these masked bandits before. No quarter given here. MiF

Last edited:
MusketeerinFla----1

Coons--------------0

lau.gif

I dont like people killing any creature AT ALL but im not sure that would have let that guy go!!!! They do murder chickens!!! PLEASE dont shoot the cat it you do get it....

Oh no, not at all.I wasn't going to shoot the cat. It was a Havahart type trap. I trap these feral cats that show up and take them a few miles away and release them. Before I lost pets and chickens, I also released a few raccoons I had caught. Not anymore. We also had a couple of raccoons within the last year I thought were rabid. I caught one in this trap and called animal control. The officer said it looked like distemper, not rabies. Still, it showed no fear of me. The officer took it away. I had a really wonderful tom cat. He kept the rats, mice , and snakes away. He would act more like a dog than a cat, waiting for me to come home from work. He tried to defend his food bowl from a raccoon and the coon killed him. I've lost 5 chickens to raccoons. I believe every creature has it's place. I won't kill a raccoon or a rattlesnake in the wild, that is their place/ home. My yard is not. MiF

Back
Top Bottom