CochinLady61

Chirping
Oct 21, 2020
Kansas
I thought I should share my Racoon Disaster because I thought my coop was safe. It was for about 20 years, and then it wasn't. The racoon climbed onto the top of my coop and did some acrobatic maneuvers to wedge himself between my rafter / ventilation space. He was able to get in and out the height of a 2x4. And we all know that a 2x4 is less than 4".

Needless to say, I have been devastated, and have torn down the coop and am replacing it with a more secure structure. I'm not sure how I could have retrofitted the rafter situation and still maintain proper ventilation the way the coop was built.

They say that if a 3 year old can open it, so can a racoon. But also remember that a racoon can climb, and apparently maneuver like a chimpanzee. :(

CochinLady61

. I'm not sure how I could have retrofitted the rafter situation and still maintain proper ventilation the way the coop was built.
Sorry for your loss and experience! :hugs

Half inch hardware cloth covering ALL openings.. use screws and washers instead of staples.

Raccoon are crafty little devils. :barnie

He was able to get in and out the height of a 2x4. And we all know that a 2x4 is less than 4".
Yep...3 1/2", plenty of space for a critter to crawl thru.

Half inch hardware cloth covering ALL openings.. use screws and washers instead of staples.
This^^^

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
1687351119351.png

Back
Top Bottom