Racoon tried to carry off one of my girls!

Very sorry to hear about your Roo. The best is to use hardware cloth small enough so the coons hands can't fit thru. And screw it down they have been known to pull staples out. Best of luck.

All things said, neighbors got a hell of a show last night, watching me administer a raccoon beatdown with a little red wagon, a shovel and a whole lot of cussing. I got a few good blows in; hopefully that raccoon has a massive headache and sore ribs today.

Unfortunately, you cannot shoot raccoons here (which, considering how close the houses are to one another, is probably a good idea), all you can do is trap them and let Animal Care & Control come pick them up. I might have to buy a trap if this keeps up.

Nothing like a raid on my henhouse to bring the "hot-blooded country girl" out of the latte-sippin', arugula eating city girl.
wink.png
Ah, San Francisco, the raccoons are very bold there and not afraid of people. Will Animal Control pick them up for free? If so, i guess that's an option. Although, i think they just take them to Golden Gate park and set them free. Then the coons go right back into the housing areas for the bounty of free cat food that many kind-hearted people leave out for the feral populations. My sister almost lost her dog to an angry mother coon who was chomping on the cat food my sister left out. You will never get rid of all the raccoons in the area, so your best bet is to fortify that coop.

On your injured bird, don't feel bad if you have to keep her confined for several weeks. The blu-kote is a good antibiotic, but you want to also protect her from flies or other types of infections. She may not be happy being kept inside a carrier, but it is really the best thing for her until that wound heals.

I had almost the same thing happen in my coop last night. I woke up to screaming, clucking noises, grabbed the big metal flashlight, and ran outside to find a coon climbing through a hole he'd made near the top of my coop, carrying my favorite rooster. I beat the crap out of him for about 30 seconds with the flashlight. He dropped the roo and ran into the woods. The chicken died unfortunately
sad.png

I have a lot of work to do today. The coon pulled the wire away from where it was attached to the roof. Now I have to reinforce the whole roof line. I know he'll be back tonight.
So sorry about your roo. Poor little guy didn't deserve to go out like that. There are no words for how much I hate raccoons Did you know that they're now a problem in Europe because some idiot thought that they'd make a great quarry for hunters and imported them? Fracking moron.

Last edited:
Ah, San Francisco, the raccoons are very bold there and not afraid of people. Will Animal Control pick them up for free? If so, i guess that's an option. Although, i think they just take them to Golden Gate park and set them free. Then the coons go right back into the housing areas for the bounty of free cat food that many kind-hearted people leave out for the feral populations. My sister almost lost her dog to an angry mother coon who was chomping on the cat food my sister left out. You will never get rid of all the raccoons in the area, so your best bet is to fortify that coop.

On your injured bird, don't feel bad if you have to keep her confined for several weeks. The blu-kote is a good antibiotic, but you want to also protect her from flies or other types of infections. She may not be happy being kept inside a carrier, but it is really the best thing for her until that wound heals.
No joke ... when you happen upon SF raccoons they just look at you with equal measures of boredom & distain with just the slightest hint of "I'm going to rearrange your face if you keep looking at me". Animal Control will pick them up, but they just release them later, probably in GG park ... which is right next to my house.
I left her out with the other girls today because she was pining. I gave her a quick once over this evening after I got home from work and she was missing some feathers. I ordered a saddle from HenSaver because the other girls were beating her up pretty bad even before the raccoon tried to make a meal out of her.

Last edited:
they are edible.best to soak them in salt water for about an hour before cooking.
but it must be fully cooked to kill any parasites.
as far as dressing it out,as with any game,wear a pair of rubber gloves and you'll be fine.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom