Radjah shelduck

Mamahen2104

Chirping
Nov 2, 2019
Vancouver, Washington
hi all! I’m re-posting here!
I recently saw these beauties and saw on purely poultry they sell pairs for a whopping $579USD. Holy cow! Does anyone know a hatchery that may sell the hatching eggs? We aren’t looking to buy for a couple more years, we’re in the process of getting married and buying our homestead after (yay!) and these beautiful duckies are on my wishlist for sure! We’ll be in a hi-desert sort of area so I’m not too worried about climate for them since they are native in Australia. They also are not endangered so I’m wondering why they are so much?
Thank you!!
AB6550A7-E122-4F58-A0CE-5A07A1905CBA.jpeg

Attachments

• 4DA049ED-CC64-449E-A102-9BD01538CE00.jpeg
    4DA049ED-CC64-449E-A102-9BD01538CE00.jpeg
    746.1 KB · Views: 4
It's probably their rarity as it's likely they only lay one clutch of eggs or need special conditions to breed/are difficult to breed. I live in New Zealand and we have Paradise shelducks that live wild. We have a pair that regularly visit our pond. They are more like a goose in that they eat grass and seeds rather than insects and are unusual in that the duck is more beautiful than the drake. The drake is mostly black and the duck is chestnut coloured with a white head. I was pretty shocked to find them for sale in England at a cost of 500 British Pounds for a pair.

I hope you are able to find some hatching eggs and good luck for your big day.

they are native in Australia. They also are not endangered so I’m wondering why they are so much?
Australia no longer allows the export of native wildlife, so without a large breeding population, the number of US breeders with Radjah and the number of offspring produced each year dictates the price. You could also look on https://www.softbillsforsale.com/ to find other breeders.

At the risk of sounding rude/blunt, don't pick a rare or expensive species and then balk at the price and want hatching eggs. Reputable breeders aren't going to sell eggs because with rare species the breeders are in the world of aviculture for the joy not the money. Shipping is hell on hatching eggs and when they can set the eggs at their facility and guarantee offspring they can sell to increase breeders, why would they risk selling eggs that are going to be shipped and have a lower hatch rate? Additionally eggs for species like this are going to be equally expensive and you have no guarantee you'll get any to hatch. Go with a bonded breeding pair if you really want them.

Back
Top Bottom