Rain Rain Go Away!

TXmom

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
Sealy, TX (West Houston area)
I don't think my chickens know how to swim.
hmm.png
Ugh, I'm tired of all the rain...and my poor chickens are probably wet
sad.png
I haven't been out to the coop yet, but I bet it's wet inside...my coop is on the ground with a dirt floor covered with pine shavings. I'm sure most of them are just fine, sitting on the roosts and in the nest boxes. However...my Silkies and Sizzle are probably on the floor...I hope they're not too wet.

I haven't seen this much rain in years! We have been in drought conditions and a "burn ban" for years. Even when Houston gets rain, it passes by us and we stay dry. Then, last weekend it rained a LOT...I had standing water all over my yard including in the chicken run. The coop got a little damp so I put in more pine pellets and shavings and then it seemed fine. All that water finally dried up and guess what...it's been raining cats and dogs...and chickens...since yesterday afternoon. My yard looks like a lake now. As soon as it's a little bit light out, I'll go check on the chicks. I'll bring the Silkies and Sizzle inside for a blow-dry if they need it! It's a shame we already disassembled the brooder that was in the living room...

I know you may be feeling down with all the rain. I bet when it does stop though, all the plants with seem bllming with life. Keep your spirit up and your Golosh's by the door.

You know, if I didn't have the chickens out there, I would be grateful for the rain! We've needed it for a long time. But now I just worry about them. They're still young (13 weeks) and probably a little scared with all the lightning and thunder. They don't like noises like that...you should have seen them when my husband was mowing on Sunday
lau.gif
I shouldn't laugh...poor babies were scared, all huddled in the corner because of the mower noise.

Rain is good...I know...but I'm also watching the news and seeing all the flash flooding in Houston and I just wish it would rain s l o w e r ...they're saying 4-5 inches PER HOUR right now.

I wonder if mine got a little damp. Something suddenly convinced them that sleeping on the roosts was better than the floor, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me putting them up there
tongue.png

Dont get me strarted on rain!! Every year I like a big garden. so last year, right when tilling time came, our tiller broke. So I never did get my garden last year, and I was sad about that. So this winter I decided we needed to do something about that, and finally talked my husband into a brand new troybilt tiller. We bought it when the ground was still frozen. And ever since, it's rained. And rained. And rained. It will start drying out a little bit, and then it rains. I dug up a perrenial yesterday to move, and the 4" deep hole instantly filled up with water. It's ridiculous! Rain in the for cast for the next 3 days too. I dont think I'll ever get my garden!

I know what you mean Txmom. We got 3 inches yesterday afternoon and havent check the bucket yet for last night. The coop is soggy and the birds arent going out (and they are peeved about that). The Silkies are fluffy bodies with stick legs and look even funnier.

Yep, the Silkies do look funny...their bodies are fluffy so it looks like they stayed pretty dry overnight, but now they're walking around in the run/pond and their leg feathers are all wet. All my other chickens have clean legs so they look fine. Right now, I have a few chickens on the outside roost, some on the roof of the coop, and some walking around in the water. They don't really seem to mind it too much.

Back
Top Bottom