Rain water capture waterer?

SmallTimeChicks

Chirping
8 Years
May 12, 2012
Volney, NY
Has anyone tried rain water capture for watering the chickens? I of course don't want to get my chickens sick by any means, so it would take a watchful eye, but it sure would be a nice solution to carrying out heavy buckets of water on rainy days to the coop. I can think of a way to design one for our coop, but I thought I would ask around first. Humans use rain water capture water and this is what chickens in the wild would be drinking...just a thought. You thoughts are welcome!

My system has been working great. I just add some ACV to it occasionally and the chickens love it to. I had some leakage issues and you have to keep the pressure down or it is like a chugging contest for the chickens. I have since turned down the pressure and sealed the nipples better. I love it...

How perfect Hawgon, thank you! Did your chicks have any problems adjusting to the nipples, or did you use nipples right from the start? It seems like such a neater concept. My guys are about 12 weeks old now, so they are drinking out of buckets the old fashioned way. I wonder if they could switch over without too much trouble?

How perfect Hawgon, thank you! Did your chicks have any problems adjusting to the nipples, or did you use nipples right from the start? It seems like such a neater concept.  My guys are about 12 weeks old now, so they are drinking out of buckets the old fashioned way. I wonder if they could switch over without too much trouble?
I switched mine to nipples in the brooder at 4 weeks and they had no problems. Took them a couple of hours is all, just tap em and with the sound and they see the water dripping it just takes one to try it and then they all will. We just watched over em to make sure they were all drinking. Just make sure they all stretch up slightly to drink, it is easier for them. Keep me posted on your progress. Best of luck

Samlltimechicks-This is my brooder waterer setup..Simple setup using pvc tubing and parts, a bulkhead fitting, nipples and a cheap on sale planter box with a bottom tray and a tray to use as a top. Works awesome.....

Back
Top Bottom