Raised nesting box

CPT

Songster
Sep 19, 2017
Star, Idaho
Hi all!

My hen has gone broody for the past week......I have to see what happens if she gets off her eggs in a raised nesting box, but if the eggs DO hatch, I was trying to figure out what to do next! Thankfully, I saw this post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-chicken-in-raised-nest-box.498840/

We'll most likely put her and her eggs/chicks in a covered dog crate. But she will be inside the dog crate inside our coop with the other chickens, plus we put the turkeys in there for the night. We had a really bad raccoon attack last month and lost a few birds, so don't want to take chances. Anyone else have raised nesting boxes and broody hens?

I'm generally there to relocate them to a pen on the floor the day of the hatch. Chicks can hop out early and chill and die. Other birds will also kill the chicks, so it can be a tense time.

I personally would get those turkeys out of there. I have had my turkeys kill chickens and I would never house them together due to the nature of the turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom