Do you think you will help pasty butt chicks in stores? 😊

• Can’t.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
If you can do this, please, I beg you to.
It will make such a difference.
Most of you out there know what pasty butt is. I’ll recap:

Pasty butt happens when a baby chick’s poop becomes stuck to the down around their vents and dries into a cement-like lump. It will build up to try point where the chick can no longer expel poop and…you can guess. It’s painful and sad. And the chick dies.💔
79CB52F7-5855-4E6F-968C-0F81308C3E4B.jpeg
And it happens all of the time in stores like TSC, Wilco, and other big brands that sell chicks. All of the time!
And they don’t treat it.
They don’t treat it!
They just toss the dead chicks in the trash and package up the living ones for money.

So many chicks die because the people responsible for them just don’t give a crap. 😭
They don’t know or care that the tiny, innocent animals in their possession will die if their pasty butt is left untreated.
It makes me sick.
But this isn’t about me. This is about those tiny chicks in need.
Here’s the thing: Pasty butt is treatable.
Really very treatable.
So while the bimbos in the stores may not have a clue, us awesome members of BYC (woot!!) are so knowledgeable and amazing that we could easily treat it. I’ll even put a little tutorial in this thread. :D

So that is my big ask of you incredible people: The next time you walk into a feed store with the intention of purchasing chicks….ASK FOR THE ONES WITH PASTY BUTT.
I know it sounds crazy. Why would you buy the ones with an issue, when you want a healthy flock? :hmm

Here’s the thing: Most of the time, they are not sick at all. Think about it! If you had JUST been born and then were immediately stuffed into boxes, loaded onto a truck, and driven miles to a new place where people shoved you into a box full of other chicks and unfamiliar things…I have to say, I’d crap on myself too. ;)
Often, incorrect temp is all it takes, too. Any little stressor that causes their poop to be looser than normal and BAM! Chick in danger. 💔

It’s not their fault.
It’s not their fault that their tiny lives are immediately in jeopardy.
8C76191B-21BE-4343-B9B1-1E2BE5636A07.jpeg
They deserve a shot at life!
I have raised chicks that I rescued from stores where they were dying from pasty butt. They’ve all turned out amazing. :cool: Even the one I was sure wasn’t gonna make it.

So I beg of you, please, even if it’s just one chick…next time you walk through that feed store door, think of the chicks with pasty butt.
They deserve a chance.
924E9869-ADE3-4B22-93D5-6EB60C71F161.jpeg

(Firefly, a chick with pasty butt from a Wilco store)
Thank you to anyone who is willing to try this!

I will post a tutorial on how to treat pasty butt in a little while.

Last edited:
I voted no.
I agree there are so many places that don't know how or don't care to properly care for the chicks they sell.
In my area it's hands down TSCs.
Your idea is a "save them all one at a tiime" idea. I have a different view. I won't save them and I won't support them by buying any chicks from them.
It may sound harsh but if those chicks die that cuts their profits. If people walk away and don't buy any chicks that ends their profits. With no profits from it they just might quit selling chicks.
If I go in there and buy all the chicks others probably wouldn't that will help their profits and show them selling chicks makes money and even makes money with them giving minimal care.
That's not the message I want to give.
Because of how they handle their chick sells I do not support TSC or shop their for anything.

If it's sick most of the reasonable employees will give em to you for free. Be blunt: "Your chicks have pasty butt, they're going to die. Are you going to treat them or are you going to sell them and dissatisfy your customers? If you're too busy I'll take them off of your hands."

I've gotten dying babies from them before, sometimes they don't make it and other times I can help them.

I saved Tiny from a private seller that DID NOT care about the chicks. They were overcrowded and the quail were all covered in blood from fighting. Tiny was the smallest and had ver y severe pasty butt. She was skinny, lethargic and overall looked terribl. I treated the pasty but and gave her to a loving broody hen. She recovered really quickly and now she is a very happy and healthy chick.

I voted no.
I agree there are so many places that don't know how or don't care to properly care for the chicks they sell.
In my area it's hands down TSCs.
Your idea is a "save them all one at a tiime" idea. I have a different view. I won't save them and I won't support them by buying any chicks from them.
It may sound harsh but if those chicks die that cuts their profits. If people walk away and don't buy any chicks that ends their profits. With no profits from it they just might quit selling chicks.
If I go in there and buy all the chicks others probably wouldn't that will help their profits and show them selling chicks makes money and even makes money with them giving minimal care.
That's not the message I want to give.
Because of how they handle their chick sells I do not support TSC or shop their for anything.
I get this. I know lots of people go to TSC or other stores for their chicks though.

I get this. I know lots of people go to TSC or other stores for their chicks though.
That's what I'd advocate against.
Quit supporting chick sells at stores.
What's the point? It supports poor care of chicks and impulse buying.
They sell the same chicks people can buy on their own direct from the hatcheries. Ya there's the worry about shipping chicks but the stores have them shipped just the same.
Buying direct gives more options on breeds and you're FAR MORE LIKELY to get the breeds and sexes that you trying to get.
Saving sick chicks from stores may save those few you buy or the many that we could all buy but it keeps the stores going with business as usual which will cost a far more chicks misery in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom