Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Here's my last hath, 18 adorable babies.

So cute! :love
What all ya got in there??

I brought some lav orp eggs home from my farm that 2 broodies had been sitting on, but abandoned after they hatched a couple chicks. A few were still alive, so i stuck 5 in the incubator. 3 quit within a day or so, but 11 days later (today!) the other 2 hatched!!
WP_20170723_16_23_32_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20170723_20_41_04_Moment.jpg

1. Hello, I'm from TX and am looking for some help!! I used to hatch out eggs great and raise them up good! But the last 4-6 months (just guessing) I've been hatching out eggs that are bought instead of my own eggs. (Wanting new bloodline) and it seems like only half the eggs are fertile cause they stay clear instead of growing at all in the incu. And the other half that do hatch out seem to eventually die before they are 2 months. I understand one or two here and there cause yer gonna loose a few but mine will be healthy for weeks and then out of no where just die one by one. I'm loosing s ton of money!! Even the chicks I buy from others seem to die. I'm wondering if my brooder is too hot or something?? I don't think it is though? I give them medicine for cocci or whatever it's called that can kill them. I use shavings but only the big shavings. Or am I not cleaning out the brooder enough? They always do good on eating and drinking. Please, help!!! Thank you.

1. Hello, I'm from TX and am looking for some help!! I used to hatch out eggs great and raise them up good! But the last 4-6 months (just guessing) I've been hatching out eggs that are bought instead of my own eggs. (Wanting new bloodline) and it seems like only half the eggs are fertile cause they stay clear instead of growing at all in the incu. And the other half that do hatch out seem to eventually die before they are 2 months. I understand one or two here and there cause yer gonna loose a few but mine will be healthy for weeks and then out of no where just die one by one. I'm loosing s ton of money!! Even the chicks I buy from others seem to die. I'm wondering if my brooder is too hot or something?? I don't think it is though? I give them medicine for cocci or whatever it's called that can kill them. I use shavings but only the big shavings. Or am I not cleaning out the brooder enough? They always do good on eating and drinking. Please, help!!! Thank you.

Wow, sorry you are having troubles. If you think it has to do with your brooder, are you using a heat lamp or what? They should have space to move around that are different temps. So when they get too warm, they can move to a cooler location.

How many sources of eggs have you tried? Maybe its something with the parent stock.

Are they hatching on time? Early or late can cause developmental issues.

Clean fresh water is a vital part of brooding healthy chicks. Even if you don't change the bedding often, the water should be fresh daily.

Just a few things that came to mind first to me. I'm sure others can add more possibilities.

Wow, sorry you are having troubles. If you think it has to do with your brooder, are you using a heat lamp or what? They should have space to move around that are different temps. So when they get too warm, they can move to a cooler location.

How many sources of eggs have you tried? Maybe its something with the parent stock.

Are they hatching on time? Early or late can cause developmental issues.

Clean fresh water is a vital part of brooding healthy chicks. Even if you don't change the bedding often, the water should be fresh daily.

Just a few things that came to mind first to me. I'm sure others can add more possibilities.

Yes they get clean freshwater more than once a day yes I use a heat lamp but they have plenty of room to run around to get away from it I will try and post a picture of the brooder.

Done that too. I've done it all..
Agree here - check wood chip type - make sure they are pine, not cedar. What type of chicks are you hatching?
So sorry you are experiencing this! :hugs
Sadly, the primary reason chicks die in the brooder is dehydration. I know you're at the "I've tried everything and am seriously at my wits end" point, but give yourself some time to step back and evaluate everything, and more than likely the solution will come to you. We've all had catastrophic failures when incubating and brooding chicks, and somewhere between "I'm quitting the chicken business altogether" and "Can I just learn something not the hard way???!!!" a solution usually presents itself. Reevaluate your process, read some good brooding articles, have a glass of wine (or beverage of your choice :) , and start again tomorrow.

Babies...under the shed... from the notoriously flighty "Skipper" - yes, that Skipper (okay, yes, her brooder-mate was called Barbie) - the one who "skipped out" on her last chicks. Oy. At last count there were nine. I do not need nine barnyard mix babies. Upside? @Jessimom Toby and Bruce are papas, and they're ridiculously cute. Pictures tomorrow!

So cute! :love
What all ya got in there??

I brought some lav orp eggs home from my farm that 2 broodies had been sitting on, but abandoned after they hatched a couple chicks. A few were still alive, so i stuck 5 in the incubator. 3 quit within a day or so, but 11 days later (today!) the other 2 hatched!!
View attachment 1088001
View attachment 1088000
Love the patient pup!! Such a great picture! Congratulations on your new littles!

Back
Top Bottom