Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
I think "friendly breed" is a toss up... it's been non-breed-specific for me. Like one from each. And my friendliest one i have is classically known for not being friendly (a CL named "Poofie" - yeah, I know. Not very original... I also have a Buff Orp named Buffy. I rock at this naming thing). :)

:lau
I had a dark brahma named "Big Guy" ;)

Ok, y'all ask about how my brooder is set up: I have large pine chips, water at the opposite end of the heating bulb, a brooder thermometer in the middle, The opposite end from the heat bulb is open so they can get fresh air, my chicks eat and drink a good. But will all the sudden die for no reason. I have use the medication for cocci in their water for a few days after one does just incase that's the problem. They eat chick starter. I do not use chemicals. When I cleaned out the router all I do is scoop out the old bedding and poop and put New in. So why are all my chicks dying? Today the prettiest little lavender chick I've ever saw was fine one minute then started to flop around as if it was a neurological problem and died right in front of me as I was cleaning the other chick cage.

Sounds like you are doing everything fine, so I'm at a loss.

In your picture, the door on the left is slid open, correct? I'm a little concerned about ventilation and air circulation. Looks like a nice setup, other than being a little "closed up"

Only other things i can think of are like fumes or something toxic getting to them, I just can't imagine what.

eta Can you slide open the right side also, and block the bottom? More air circulation?

In your picture, the door on the left is slid open, correct? I'm a little concerned about ventilation and air circulation. Looks like a nice setup, other than being a little "closed up"

Only other things i can think of are like fumes or something toxic getting to them, I just can't imagine what.

eta Can you slide open the right side also, and block the bottom? More air circulation?

Yes, the left side is open wide. And the right side is just open slightly.

Just thinking out loud the breeder is in the laundry room and the central air sucks air in next to the brooder. The smell of laundry soap or dryer sheets would not kill them would it?

Just thinking out loud the breeder is in the laundry room and the central air sucks air in next to the brooder. The smell of laundry soap or dryer sheets would not kill them would it?

I wouldn't think so. But as a last resort, you could try moving it. Did you pull the little silkie out?

@Tashaf you might also try turning the heat light off for a couple hours. They look plenty feathered. I leave mine off most of the day after the first week. How old are they?

About 2-3 weeks. When I turn the heat light off they huddle up and don't move as if they're cold. The heat light has a dimmer switch ,so, I try to adjust the heat to where they look comfy and not too hot or too cold.

look at this precious little momma and one of her babies :love
WP_20170726_07_46_28_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom