Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
I lost a 55FH cockerel Saturday early morning to a raccoon. We knew it was only a matter of time. We couldn't catch that bird before he was up at least 50' in the big oak by his coop at night. He lasted 3 nights like that and then Mr. Raccoon got him. Thankfully I have 2 more, and was contemplating not keeping that one anyway... but still...

I understand about your mixed feelings. I hate the idea of feeding the predators. Not the kind of positive reinforcement anyone needs!

Ok, I'm supposed to be working, so these are just quick photos. The Polish I think are boys.

20170821_130749.jpg 20170821_130726.jpg 20170821_130722.jpg 20170821_130718.jpg 20170821_130707.jpg 20170821_130641.jpg

Love those polish! If my Sarge had been a chicken, he'd have been either a polish or a showgirl.

My baby chicks are officially adolescents. Starting to make grown chicken noises, though no attempts at crowing noted yet.

Ok, the pix are gorgeous! I can't wait until I'm able to play with polish.

Opossum: well, it's just not healthy for one to run across a chicken owner's pasture with a dead chicken in its mouth. Don't really care he dug it out of the compost pile, he get's a one way ticket to it.

Survival genetics: A friend of mine says he breeds to survival genetics. That is he breeds birds that are smart enough to stay inside the wire. I've got 3 ILs who insist the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and a coyote who won't penetrate the fence--but is happy to lay and wait. I'd like to get the coyote in my cross hairs--but would prefer the birds stay inside the safe area.:th

Back
Top Bottom