Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
So we had a near catastrophe today. My neighbors dog got ahold of Tara (lone golden comet, 2-year old hen). Luckily, if there was any luck, the dogs are Brittany spaniels, so they are trained to retrieve quail and not kill. The dog delivered Tara to my neighbor, and dropped her at his feet. She looked up at him and he said she looked like she wanted to say "what the <bleep> is wrong with your dog?" :lol:

He ripped out a few tail feathers and she has a small bite wound on her back end, but i think she will be fine. Maybe a little traumatized for a couple days, but maybe this will keep her in my yard. She hid under his flatbed trailer all day, he took her food and water, but she followed me home when i got home. We aren't sure exactly where the dog caught her (who's property) but the neighbor said Tara usually isn't out as early as she was today, and he didn't see her until he had already turned out his dogs. I don't blame the dog for doing as it was trained, and she was out where she didn't belong, but I'm sure he will watch for her more closely from now on.

Whew!

My dog brought me three live baby rabbits fresh from the nest the other day, all at once! One had a cut on its ear, otherwise unharmed. I put them out in the woods where husband said the dog had been. I am not feeding wild rabbits, too busy! The mother needs to find a better place, not so close to the house.

Yesterday with my dog.
WP_20170823_19_09_40_Pro.jpg

Today :( but at least she's alive
WP_20170824_16_52_41_Pro.jpg

I don't know if i will ever free range the chickens i am raising now. Lots of critters in the woods. I am going to try it with the three bigger chickens and the guineas after they get a bit bigger. I want them to thin out the ticks!

I don't know if i will ever free range the chickens i am raising now. Lots of critters in the woods. I am going to try it with the three bigger chickens and the guineas after they get a bit bigger. I want them to thin out the ticks!

I guess it helps with the bugs. I have a few that don't really have a pen, they just have houses they sleep in, and roam all day. Overflow chickens, non-breeders, extra cockerels. And Tara.

Free range ones that you won't mind to lose, to test the waters.

I guess it helps with the bugs. I have a few that don't really have a pen, they just have houses they sleep in, and roam all day. Overflow chickens, non-breeders, extra cockerels. And Tara.

Free range ones that you won't mind to lose, to test the waters.
Yeah, if the guineas can't free range then they will just be egg layers and i will have enough of them. The three chickens i bought to train the guineas to return to the coop are Ameraucanas i bought at the swap, a trio. I would like them to survive, but am not really attached to them. They will be the test subjects. I know we have bears here, and i am going to hotwire the chicken fence once the garden is done. That should be ready by the time my baby chicks are ready for the coop. Nothing has tried to get at my 2 rabbits so far. Good news. I know there were likely coons trying to get in with the guineas.in the brooder, and we had that snake incident where i lost a few. But i still have a good sized flock.

Yeah, if the guineas can't free range then they will just be egg layers and i will have enough of them. The three chickens i bought to train the guineas to return to the coop are Ameraucanas i bought at the swap, a trio. I would like them to survive, but am not really attached to them. They will be the test subjects. I know we have bears here, and i am going to hotwire the chicken fence once the garden is done. That should be ready by the time my baby chicks are ready for the coop. Nothing has tried to get at my 2 rabbits so far. Good news. I know there were likely coons trying to get in with the guineas.in the brooder, and we had that snake incident where i lost a few. But i still have a good sized flock.

I have an opening at the top of the coop that the chickens roost on (I know I"m asking for trouble, but they like it). They jump out each morning. They wander back to the gate late afternoon. We have hawks during the day. But they don't mess with the hens. One of my Ayam Cemanis got out, and she isn't usually a wanderer. She never found her way back to the gate and something got her.

I have an opening at the top of the coop that the chickens roost on (I know I"m asking for trouble, but they like it). They jump out each morning. They wander back to the gate late afternoon. We have hawks during the day. But they don't mess with the hens. One of my Ayam Cemanis got out, and she isn't usually a wanderer. She never found her way back to the gate and something got her.

Ah darn. Hope she shows back up!

Back
Top Bottom