Raising baby chicks in Florida

Rgeet

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016
I live in Florida and have had chickens for years but have never raised biddies. I am receiving several in August. It is in the 90s during the day but can be in the mid 70s at night. Do I need to use a warming lamp? They will be in an enclosed coop at night and let out into a run during the day. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

A heat plate or "mama heating pad" would be a better option, as long as you don't have a large number of chicks, as it easily allows chicks to warm up when they want to, but otherwise be off heat the rest of the time.

Being in an area that is often warmer than Miami I prefer @Blooie 's MHP to the 250W heat lamp of deadly pastybutt. I used the heat lamp for my first flock and looking back at it am surprised I managed to keep them all alive. Local predators should also be a major concern regarding their housing arrangments that young. We lost 5 chicks in one night to what we suspect was a possum family. We rearranged our security posture and have installed lighting in the growout coop now. And have lost only 1 of 7 of the replacment flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...re-heavy-update.956958/page-808#post-17940584

Here is one of our new girls on the catwalk.

IMG_6708.JPG

Last edited:
I’m so glad to have found this thread. I have been out of the backyard chicken community for over 4 years (life changes), and I’m ready to get back into it. I very much appreciate the information given here on the temperatures for the chicks. My husband and I have just moved into a new area in Central Florida, and I am also not sure if I want to vaccinate baby chicks or not. The old Homestead had been my home for 25 years. We only want a small flock for our own egg production. Thoughts? I’m doing research as though I’m a brand new chicken mama. I’ve read the other threads on whether or not to vaccinate, but we are in a strange situation here in the south, where it never really gets cold and parasites don’t die off in the winter. I feel like I’ve forgotten everything.

Revisiting the MHP for heat other advantages is they are inexpensive(mine was $13-) and at max current mine draws about 40w vs 250w for the lamp. The chicks aren't exposed to light 24 hours a day either and seem calmer with it, but who knows if that is really a thing. I wish I had some expertise to offer with vaccinations and have never seen a case of Mareks but stopped ordering them with it. Who knows maybe it just isn't a thing where I live. Perhaps folks at the local feed store may be able to offer you better advice.

I am on my second round of chicks and live here in FL. We keep the chicks inside until they do not need heat anymore. My newest ones will be inside for a while, until they can hold their own in my already established flock. I have a heat lamp that we use at night. During the day I put their brooder on my screened in porch so they can have some outside exposure. I will not let them loose outside, even with myself and kids standing by because of our ballsy hawk that hangs around. It likes to swoop at my head. :he

Back
Top Bottom