Raising chicken on wire?

luludaxia

Chirping
Sep 14, 2016
One of our friends suggest we keep all our chickens in cages raised from ground with wires at the bottom. For the following reasons:

1. To get pure bred eggs or chicks since people prefer pure breds than barn yard mix.
2. To keep them eating from each other's poo and other dirty things on the ground.
3. Keep them from disease carried by wild birds.

He had hundreds of chickens, there used to be disease breakouts from time to time. He said after he kept them on wires he never get trouble again.
But that seem to me to keep all chickens in jail, I like to see them free ranging, they look much happier that way. What's your opinion of keeping chickens on wires.

Keeping chickens on wire is not as sanitary as you might think and its a lot of work. Chickens need dirt, bugs and grass etc.

that sounds terrible and sounds like you would have a lot of bumblefoot issues

One of our friends suggest we keep all our chickens in cages raised from ground with wires at the bottom. For the following reasons:

1. To get pure bred eggs or chicks since people prefer pure breds than barn yard mix.
2. To keep them eating from each other's poo and other dirty things on the ground.
3. Keep them from disease carried by wild birds.

He had hundreds of chickens, there used to be disease breakouts from time to time. He said after he kept them on wires he never get trouble again.
But that seem to me to keep all chickens in jail, I like to see them free ranging, they look much happier that way. What's your opinion of keeping chickens on wires.

Would you like to walk on wire all day every day?

Hilarious to me how he claims keeping them on wire will produce pure bred chickens..
Hilarious

But as my hub lost his job we may need to live on our chickens. We have some popular breeds, like silkies, polish, copper maran, barred rock, easter egger, if we keep them separately we can get pure bred eggs and chicks, which sell much more than barnyard mix, both in amount and quantity. But that means we have to keep them in separate condos instead of letting them free range. Yet, I really want to see them walking freely in the sun. Is there any way to keep them pure bred while letting them free range?

But as my hub lost his job we may need to live on our chickens. We have some popular breeds, like silkies, polish, copper maran, barred rock, easter egger, if we keep them separately we can get pure bred eggs and chicks, which sell much more than barnyard mix, both in amount and quantity. But that means we have to keep them in separate condos instead of letting them free range. Yet, I really want to see them walking freely in the sun. Is there any way to keep them pure bred while letting them free range?

Yes...let the different breeds free range at separate times.

Back
Top Bottom