Raising Chicks

Pics
Ok I lied I have one more question. Would you suggest a heat lamp or a brooder? I feel like the brooder is lower risk, but I will be doing this in a plastic bin so...

Ok. Thanks that helps a lot! Can you recommend any food and bedding for both chicks and adults? Could I raise the chicks in a large cardboard bed? Do you have any tips for when handling chicks?
Not really married to a specific brand of feed. Purina’s a good one. For younger chicks, you’ll need chick starter. What’s nice about Purina is they give you an age chart on how long to feed starter and when to start giving grower. For bedding...pine shavings have worked well for me. It’s just preference on size. But no, a cardboard box is too flimsy and a fire hazard because of the heat lamp (those things are HOT). There are different sizes of the troughs TSC uses for chicks. I personally got a smaller one because we don’t usually raise more than six in a group (and the smaller ones are cheaper). For handling chicks, I usually start by feeding them from my hand to get them used to me. Sometimes I’ll just put my hand in there and they hop up and around using it as a roost. When holding a chick, hold them from the bottom since they tend to freak out when their feet are left to dangle. Same with catching them, try not to grab from the top as that can scare them. I find it easier to “scoop” them up instead. However this can be difficult if you have a more agile chick like a leghorn. If you give them a place to snuggle, they’ll be much happier too.

Not really married to a specific brand of feed. Purina’s a good one. For younger chicks, you’ll need chick starter. What’s nice about Purina is they give you an age chart on how long to feed starter and when to start giving grower. For bedding...pine shavings have worked well for me. It’s just preference on size. But no, a cardboard box is too flimsy and a fire hazard because of the heat lamp (those things are HOT). There are different sizes of the troughs TSC uses for chicks. I personally got a smaller one because we don’t usually raise more than six in a group (and the smaller ones are cheaper). For handling chicks, I usually start by feeding them from my hand to get them used to me. Sometimes I’ll just put my hand in there and they hop up and around using it as a roost. When holding a chick, hold them from the bottom since they tend to freak out when their feet are left to dangle. Same with catching them, try not to grab from the top as that can scare them. I find it easier to “scoop” them up instead. However this can be difficult if you have a more agile chick like a leghorn. If you give them a place to snuggle, they’ll be much happier too.
Ok. Thanks!
Can you answer my questions in posts #70-73?
Would two of these work? https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-30gal-storage-bin-tan/-/A-14757114#lnk=sametab

Ok. I thought up a few more questions:
  1. What bedding should I use when I first get them? I heard that they may think wood shavings are food. If I should use something else, when do I transition them to wood shavings?
  2. What (of the chickens that can be sexed right from when they are born) are the most friendly?

If you see a mongoose in your yard, your chicks are in danger. They have a keen sense of smell, and hunt sounds of baby chicks. I just lost four chicks out of six to a mongoose. I saw a bloody chick's head sticking through the chicken wire. The mongoose ran away after he saw me.

But, downside to Leghorns, they are not that social. I have 3 Faverolle girls and they are the sweetest things in the world. my favorite girl (a Faverolle) always comes running to me every time i enter the coop. They are so sweet!

Sorry about my posting, im doing to many posts :) XD.

Back
Top Bottom