Raising Coturnix Quail in Arizona

MissPeep

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
I have four Coturnix quail that are ready to go into their hutch. I’ve never raised them before and I'm wondering if the hutch can be outside here in southern Arizona or if it needs to be on a covered patio or even inside the house. This photo is the setup I built, but the hutch is easily moved and I have plenty of space on the property.

Attachments

• 3783F700-1AA5-4F6E-AA53-8D2605551D71.jpeg
    3783F700-1AA5-4F6E-AA53-8D2605551D71.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 144
They won’t use the upper compartment of that hutch. Coturnix have no desire to be above ground and aren’t able to use ramps that steep.
They will need lots of cool water and shade. I would keep them covered as much as possible, quail are heat hardy but I don’t think they’re that heat hardy!

How hot does it get where you live in Arizona? I'm in the Phoenix area and I think the temps here would be very hot in an outdoor hutch in the summer. My quail lives in a big open patio, but she looks pretty miserable in the summer. She's already walking around panting with her wings out and it's only been up to 95°F so far. When it's hot (100-120+), I keep ice blocks on a wet towel out there for her and that's where she spends most of the day. It might be ok if you can provide ice or some way to keep it cool. I use old Blue Bunny ice cream containers to make big ice blocks. That size lasts about 3 hours.

If I could, I would move Pedro back in the house during the summer.

How hot does it get where you live in Arizona? I'm in the Phoenix area and I think the temps here would be very hot in an outdoor hutch in the summer. My quail lives in a big open patio, but she looks pretty miserable in the summer. She's already walking around panting with her wings out and it's only been up to 95°F so far. When it's hot (100-120+), I keep ice blocks on a wet towel out there for her and that's where she spends most of the day. It might be ok if you can provide ice or some way to keep it cool. I use old Blue Bunny ice cream containers to make big ice blocks. That size lasts about 3 hours.

If I could, I would move Pedro back in the house during the summer.
I’m in Tucson so a little cooler than Phoenix but not by much. I have a mister up around the chicken run and the quail’s new coop/run. I haven’t seen them pant yet thanks goodness.

Back
Top Bottom