raising fish. (both about food and fun)

itsasmallfarm

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 27, 2016
canada
hello everyone.

right now we are in talks of maybe getting some fish next year for a dug out on some land we own. we plan on stocking trout (rainbow) and the general idea is to raise them for food and for fun (fishing), i think we are going to try and go with a 100% natural idea meaning the fish would only survive on the bugs and other natural food sources. (hoping not to have to feed them making for a cheaper meat source and entertainment).

so now, does anybody else raise water live stock? either for fun or food. (meaning fish keeping, aquaponics or even a pond you own) i would like to hear about other people who raise fish in ponds, or other ways of raising fish (i used to have fish in an aquarium) and do you raise fish for fun or food.

but thanks for reading itsasmallfarm out.

hello everyone.

right now we are in talks of maybe getting some fish next year for a dug out on some land we own. we plan on stocking trout (rainbow) and the general idea is to raise them for food and for fun (fishing), i think we are going to try and go with a 100% natural idea meaning the fish would only survive on the bugs and other natural food sources. (hoping not to have to feed them making for a cheaper meat source and entertainment).

so now, does anybody else raise water live stock? either for fun or food. (meaning fish keeping, aquaponics or even a pond you own) i would like to hear about other people who raise fish in ponds, or other ways of raising fish (i used to have fish in an aquarium) and do you raise fish for fun or food.

but thanks for reading itsasmallfarm out.

trout are fairly unique. Depending on your area, they may or may not be economical to raise. In the summer, they almost always die off once water temperatures reach 85 degrees, unless the pond is extremely deep, and they always require a source of aeration or inflow. Furthermore, if any invasive fish get in your pond, even smaller sunfish like GSF can decimate the trout fry. Also, in small ponds, trout tend to not to reproduce, so most people make a put-and-take fishery in which all the trout are harvested by June.

Hope this helps.

trout are fairly unique. Depending on your area, they may or may not be economical to raise. In the summer, they almost always die off once water temperatures reach 85 degrees, unless the pond is extremely deep, and they always require a source of aeration or inflow. Furthermore, if any invasive fish get in your pond, even smaller sunfish like GSF can decimate the trout fry. Also, in small ponds, trout tend to not to reproduce, so most people make a put-and-take fishery in which all the trout are harvested by June.

Hope this helps.
thank you, here a few details i should have mentioned,

the pond is between 15-20ft deep and has a source of ground water/spring, (all i know is they hit water when they dug it out and it came in fast) also should note the nearest lake with fish in it is about 100-150km away.

but thank you. :)

I have kept trout before. As mentioned above yes they love cool water but if you have a spring fed pond it should be good for trout. There is a local hatchery that uses spring water in all its ponds and the water stays at 65 farenheight year round. They also need a ton of aeration, so I would recommend you provide a bunch, whether by a fountain or an air pump.

I have kept trout before. As mentioned above yes they love cool water but if you have a spring fed pond it should be good for trout. There is a local hatchery that uses spring water in all its ponds and the water stays at 65 farenheight year round. They also need a ton of aeration, so I would recommend you provide a bunch, whether by a fountain or an air pump.
thank you, would have to look at a solar one as its in the middle of no where :)

Back
Top Bottom