Raising Peafowl Chicks with Guinea Chicks

LongevityKitchn

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
NW Indiana
Hello,

We are raising 22 guinea keets and 4 peafowl, all of which are only 1 month old. They are in our house right now, in separate cages (guinea in one, peas in the other). We converted a horse stall into a coop for the birds, all enclosed with chicken wire to keep predators out. We raise chickens this way too, with a run attached to the horse stall door. They chickens will always be kept separate from the peas and guineas because they chicken run is enclosed with a chainlink fence because they were getting picked off by predators too much.

We got the guineas and peas because we wanted tougher birds that could free range on our property without the liklihood of getting eaten. We need some advice. Can we put all of the 1 month old birds (guineas and peas) into the horse stall together? Will they get along, and for how long? We've been trying to feed the peas treats and handle them more so they tolerate people and stick around. We were planning on keeping them in the coop/stall until early next Spring because we hear they will often leave if you let them go too soon (we have 10 acres so we're hoping they will stick around).

To complicate matters, one of the pea chicks seems to have been the victim of bullying. Its poor little head is bleeding where the crest would be. No crest now. I am shocked that at only 1 month they would be fighting or doing something like that. Poor little one is scared now and stays puffed up all the time. This had me worried that they won't be getting along much longer (unless it was an innocent injury sparked by curiosity?).

We planned to move the guinneas out to the barn tomorrow. Do you think we can put the peas in with them? Any and all help appreciated. We have no idea what we're doing!

-Marisa

Those goony birds can be little gangsta's so keep an eye on them but as long as there is plenty of room and places for the birds to hide from each other it should be ok. The comment about your little one that got picked on concerns me that it may be coming down with cocci. If they are exposed to the ground you will need to do regular cocci treatments probably until winter. Young peas are very susceptible where goonies are not. Signs of being sick are withdrawing its head into the shoulders, puffing up, listlessness, loss of appetite and a general rough appearance.

The comment about your little one that got picked on concerns me that it may be coming down with cocci. If they are exposed to the ground you will need to do regular cocci treatments probably until winter. Young peas are very susceptible where goonies are not. Signs of being sick are withdrawing its head into the shoulders, puffing up, listlessness, loss of appetite and a general rough appearance.

Wow okay! I attached a photo of the pea who was hurt. See the blood on top of her head? She is acting very withdrawn, and always puffed up. She peeps quite a bit with the cry they use when they are scared. They have not been exposed to the "ground". They have been in a cage their whole life. Does that mean they can't get cocci? Thank you so
IMG_8070.JPG
much for taking the time to discuss this with me and share your advice.

Young guineas would likely kill the peachicks.
Oh boy! We didn't anticipate that being an issues until they were fully grown. Do you know how soon that would be a real concern? And what if we make nesting boxes and places they can hide? The peas can't go in my with grown chickens instead, can they?

Wow okay! I attached a photo of the pea who was hurt. See the blood on top of her head? She is acting very withdrawn, and always puffed up. She peeps quite a bit with the cry they use when they are scared. They have not been exposed to the "ground". They have been in a cage their whole life. Does that mean they can't get cocci? Thank you so View attachment 1054016 much for taking the time to discuss this with me and share your advice.

He might just have a headache but you should watch for cocci anyway. Yes birds that are kept off the ground can get cocci. Cocci can be airborn, chicks can contract it from your hands or even your clothing. Consider getting some sulfadimethoxine from your vet and dose the water, one teaspoon per gal, when chicks start to look a little 'off'.

I see you are offering greens. Have you considered how they are going to process greens with no grit in their gizzard? I don't start feeding anything other than crumbles or crumbles put through the blender with hard boiled eggs until they hit the ground. Once on the ground they start getting grit and hard foods.

Oh boy! We didn't anticipate that being an issues until they were fully grown. Do you know how soon that would be a real concern? And what if we make nesting boxes and places they can hide? The peas can't go in my with grown chickens instead, can they?

We raise guineas with our peas, they are helpful in teaching the peas to eat and we like to have a few guineas in the brooders with them so we try to hatch them at the same time. Only when the keets are two or more weeks older have we seen them attack the peachicks. They can be kept together successfully when given enough space. Any flock of birds will peck on each other if they are over crowded. I try to avoid putting chickens in with the peas at any age. Chickens are mean, unsanitary, and nasty and can contribute to the disease load in the peas.

He might just have a headache but you should watch for cocci anyway. Yes birds that are kept off the ground can get cocci. Cocci can be airborn, chicks can contract it from your hands or even your clothing. Consider getting some sulfadimethoxine from your vet and dose the water, one teaspoon per gal, when chicks start to look a little 'off'.

I see you are offering greens. Have you considered how they are going to process greens with no grit in their gizzard? I don't start feeding anything other than crumbles or crumbles put through the blender with hard boiled eggs until they hit the ground. Once on the ground they start getting grit and hard foods.

Yes we have been putting grit in their food ever since we started with treats (treats are rare). The day after I posted the pic, I found that poor chick dead.

We are using dried oregano in their water (organic non-irradiated) because it is antiseptic, anti-parasitic, and antibacterial. We don't like to use pharmeceuticals or antibiotics unless we have no choice. Science shows that this is as effective or more effective than medicine. I know this can sound silly if you're not into natural medicine, but the science is there. Many poultry farmers are switching to oregano.

Back
Top Bottom