Raising Pigeons

OMG I got a squeaker today. The hen is still sitting on another egg so hopefully I will have another one soon. The baby came from my new pigeons. I haven't gotton any pics because it has rained so much and everything is a muddy mess. I will have to get pics now. I couldn't be more excited.
thumbsup.gif

I HAVE RAISED SHOWN PIGEONS SINCE 1969 AND HAVE FOUND SOME THING OUT THAT MAY HELP PEOPLE INTERESTED IN RAISEING PIGEONS FIRST FEED AFTER FEEDING PIGEON FEED FOR YEARS AND TRAVELING UP TO 70 MILES ONE WAY TO GET PIGEON FEED I TRIED LAYING PELLETS FOR CHICKENS AND HAVE USED THEM FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS IT IS A COMPLETE FEED BIRDS DO NOT PICK OUT WHAT THEY WANT AND WASTE REST OF IT I HAVE HAD FANTAILS POUTERS CROPPERS AND OTHER BREEDS THEY FEED THERE YOUNG BETTER AND ALWAYS HAVE FULL CROPS THE ONLY DRAW BACK IS THE DROPPINGS ARE MUCH LOOSER AND MORE OF IT FOR SHOW CONDICTIONING FEED A LITTLE GRAIN TO FRIM THEM UP NO NEED FOR VIT. MIN. IT IS IN THE PELLET THEY WILL CONSUME A LOT OF WATER .

FOR NEST I USE CHEAP PLASTIC DOG BOWLS BUY THEM AT DOLLAR GENRAL 1.00 EACH LAST TIME BOUGHT THEM EASY TO TAKE OUT TO CLEAN FOR NESTING I HAVE USED SAWDUST WITH PINE NEEDLS ON TOP CARPET PADDING WITH PINE NEEDLES OR HAY JUST SOME PADDING AND SOMETHING FOR THE LEGS TO GRIP

YOU CAN BE SURE THAT IF YOU LET FANCY PIGOENS OUT TO FREE FLY THERE IS GOING TO BE SOMETHING THERE TO KILL IT HAVE MANY STORIES I HAVE HEARD OF FLYING BREEDS THAT ARE IN TRAING FOR RACES OR ROLLER COMPETIONS WERE HAWKS OR OTHER BIRD OF PREY ATTACK THEM SEEMS LIKE THEY GET THE BEST BIRDS OR SCARE THEM SO BAD THEY GET CONFUSED AND ARE GONE FOR DAYS IF THEY DO RETURN SO I DO NOT LET MY FANCY BIRDS OUT JUST LIKE THEM TOO MUCH TO FEED A HAWK CAT OR DOG WHAT EVER HAPPENS TO SEE THEM

MY fantails laid all winter of which I would take the eggs and put wooden ones in as it was too cold too hatch little ones. They are still laying but something is breaking the eggs. I so want them too hatch some while it is warmer. Do you have any ideas of what is going on. Also they are in coops but hubby won't let me close them up at night cause he says they will get too hot. They are closed in by wire and wooden doors but I have a panel that I put up in the winter and did last summer also but this summer he says no. Also says no on adding a cover too my chickens so that nothing can see in their cages at night. What are yalls thoughts on this also. Thanks

I have just a few white Homers. They are so lovely when they circle in the sky.

They seem to be very easy to take care of, and live in the coop with my chickens.

They eat game bird feed and chicken feed and corn and scraps and basically whatever they want to.

Quote:
I banded my first pigeon in 1969 also.

I do feed a pigeon pellet during breeding season, but pigeon grain feed before shows, as they make a bigger mess with pellets.

Would not even think about free flying show birds.

Fast flying racing homer do get taken by the fast copper hawks, sure slow flying breeds would be a easy meal.

Quote:
As soon as I get the pigeons I will get some pics for you to identify. Snakeman said they didn't look anything like the common homers we already have. Hey maybe we will have some nice birds after all.

I do know about the feeding problem with pigs so I'm staying on top of it. When Pitunia screams to eat and its not time yet I give her carrot sticks and stuff like that. She seems O.K. with it. I also have her on Mini Pig which is food especially for PBPs.

Just to clear up one thing, the wild pigeon are what are call commonie , not homers. Just little info.

Yes post some pics.

Quote:
Pigeons are quite good at raising squeakers all year. Yes you can loose some, but good pairs do quite well. I have 7 accidents that hatched out during our 0degree days this winter. I never thought I would need to check for eggs. I nice draft free coop/loft helps too. I think the biggest problem of raising in the winter is the birds jumping off the eggs/squeakers to get water when you bring unfrozen water. This can result in frozen young. But giving them a break is good to. I recommend placing dummy eggs under them during the winter. They will sit on these for 18 or so days. If not they can lay eggs as soon as ever 7 days if you throw them out.

Back
Top Bottom