Raising quail? In florida.

I am in Southwest FL. I love raising the Coturnix. They are mini chickens. Many varieties of color. Eggs are delicious. They lay their entire lives like JJ said. They are a delight indeed!

I asked around and everyone I talked to say I can feed them the chickens layer mash. Should I get something different?

Quote:
THEY LAY ALOT LONGER THAN 1 YR! IN FACT THEY LAY THROUGHOUT THEIR ENTIRE LIVES, WHICH IN EXTREME CASES MAY BE UPWARDS OF 9 YRS. GRANTED THE EGG NUMBERS DO DECREASE WITH AGE, FERTILITY DOES NOT.

How long do bobs lay?

Quote:
THEY CAN SURVIVE ON LAYER MASH, BUT IT IS NOT COMPLETE NUTRITION FOR THEM AND YOU'LL FIND MUCH BETTER RESULTS WITH GAME BIRD STARTER 30%
CHICKEN FEED DOES NOT CONTAIN PROPER NUTRIENTS OR IF THEY DO THE NUTRIENTS ARE IN INAPPROPRIATE AMOUNTS. GAMEBIRD FEED IS BEST AND WITH COTURNIX THE HIGHER THE PROTIEN THE BETTER.. ALL MY BIRDS GET STARTER FROM HATCH TO GRAVE.

TOBY I HAVE BOBS IN THE 4YR OLD RANGE THAT ARE STILL LAYING. AGE IS JUST A NUMBER, WHAT REALLY COUNTS IS HOW ARE THEY CARRED FOR THROUGHOUT THAT NUMBER.

Quote:
Others have covered the feed. They also need additional light 14-16 hours to keep them in Lay.

Could you show us a picture of your Browns? Just want to check and see if they indeed sold you more than 1 hen. We won't be able to tell on the Whites, you have to watch them or vent sex them to check for the hens (actually you could do that with the Browns too, but we always like to see pictures of pretty birds).

Don't give up, the more you learn about them, the easier it gets. I have found that the Coturnix are actually easier then raising some breeds of chickens. They each have their own pros and cons. It just takes a while to get the hang of it.

edited Browns males will have rusty breasts, females speckled breast. But some (variations?) both have some speckling on the breasts and are harder to tell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom