Random segregation and aggression in flock?

Mae98

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
Wondering if anyone has any insight for the segregation and aggression that is taking place in my flock. And towards one pullet specifically(Bean-sizzle). 8 chickens, all roughly 15-16 weeks old, and all have been together since they were about 1 week. 1 frizzle, 3 sizzle, two silkie show girls, and 2 silkies. Currently suspecting 2 of 8 are roosters. They get to free range between 3 large backyards, so space shouldn’t be the issue. They also do not showcase their aggressive behavior constantly. It will be a couple random times through out the day for seeming no reason.
The two silkie showgirls stay together, but I have witnessed them picking on my bullied pullet Bean.
2 of 3 sizzles are suspected Roos, one of the two Roos treats my bullied pullet well, the other roo roughly picks on her. (She seems to stay close to the one that treats her well) however, the rooster that does treat her well picks on the silkie showgirls. And the 1frizzle and 2 silkies don’t seem to get any attention from the other chickens, good or bad. They just seem to be followers. Looking for any answers or suggestions as this morning I went to check on my chickens and thought something took my bullied pullet as there were two separate small patches of her feathers in the yard. However, about 2 hours later we found her laying across the street in the neighbor yard, and I suspect one of the other chickens bullied her out. As soon as we rejoined her to the group one of the silkie showgirls pecked her in the face. No injuries or illness shown in my bullied pullet, she does tend to stay a little further from the flock though.

Photos for reference
Silkie showgirls (bully my pullet, Bean)
IMG_4499.jpegIMG_4335.jpeg

Two Sizzle Roos (grey is nice to bullied pullet, but seen picking on lighter showgirl. Black picks on bullied pullet)
D7692D3E-12CB-462C-AE38-85A60A7AC460.jpegIMG_4441.jpeg
Bullied pullet (picked on by showgirls and black roo)
IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

And them all hanging out getting along like they do the majority of the time
IMG_4585.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4524.jpeg
    IMG_4524.jpeg
    899.7 KB · Views: 1
  • D7692D3E-12CB-462C-AE38-85A60A7AC460.jpeg
    D7692D3E-12CB-462C-AE38-85A60A7AC460.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4445.jpeg
    IMG_4445.jpeg
    885.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4510.jpeg
    IMG_4510.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 3
Maybe she is at the bottom of the pecking order? When I had three Roos they all picked on a specific pullet. Even though they grew up together she is a polish and was smaller than everyone. They excluded her. I noticed the bullying would happen if they were in the run and bored. So maybe it’s a boredom thing?

Maybe she is at the bottom of the pecking order? When I had three Roos they all picked on a specific pullet. Even though they grew up together she is a polish and was smaller than everyone. They excluded her. I noticed the bullying would happen if they were in the run and bored. So maybe it’s a boredom thing?
I thought that too because I would usually see this behavior happen first thing in the morning before being let out of the run, but they now have 3 large yards to roam and I see it happen on the outside of the run randomly. She also happens to be the biggest pullet so far. Not one of the other pullets seems to get any attention. Just such an odd situation. And for them to have bullied her to the point of leaving a small pile of feathers in the grass and her going across the street:(

Back
Top Bottom