I know I'm not the first person to have this idea, so before I dive in and go full crazy chicken lady (I'm already the crazy goat lady!) I'd love to hear from people who have attempted breeding Rangers before - from whichever proprietary line. What were your goals, what worked or didn't, what's the status of your flock if you're still raising them, or what was your reason for quitting if you aren't?

My goals would be to create a true-breeding, sustainable bird that's healthy enough to live a full breeding life, but with better grow out and carcass than cull layer cockerels. Enough egg production for decent chick crops - not on par with layer breeds, although of course they could be eaten as a side product, the same way extra layer birds can be used for meat. Not a true dual purpose breed, because there doesn't seem to be much interest in them these days. Hopefully with broody tendencies, because I feel that mothering ability is a crucial trait in sustainable breeds - not relying on human intervention to survive. People can always incubate if they want a large batch for butcher, but in my mind that goes along the same lines as relying on hatcheries to produce proprietary hybrids. A lower priority goal, probably a few generations in, would be to shift them to a different color so they stand out from the hatchery breeds. Still something light for clean carcasses; maybe buff? I would be introducing some layer birds here and there to maintain genetic vigor and improve some traits such as the egg production, so I can bring new color in that way. Any area thee seen to be weak in, I can look for existing breeds that could strengthen it without losing other qualities. Yes, this is obviously a long term project! Quality takes time 😉 👌

Thoughts?

I love these kinds of threads! Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes, I'm planning to have two. Right now I have one picked out from my "red" ranger batch, and I'm planning to keep another from this larger group of "freedom" once they're big enough to tell sex and quality. Hopefully they'll get along - I usually have a one rooster policy, but I want to have more genetic variety as well as insurance in case I lose one. Maybe three if I like some of these younger ones well enough. Or I could keep an F1 if I do get a hatch in this fall. Either way, I need to make sure I have at least one surviving rooster in the spring so I can get going right away. I'd have to wait months if I needed a hatchery replacement.

I did read something about rangers laying through the winter. I don't love the idea of dealing with chicks in the cold, and I won't have any broodies, but I'd be able to make progress and have more F1s ready by spring, instead of just feeding the foundation stock all winter without getting anything out of it. Right now my egg sales are paying for the project, and I'm sure the layers will slack off even under lights.

Breeding goes through the cold months when you want to make things happen sooner.

Good luck!

I use lighting to help keep them thinking its laying season.
I'll have my layers under light since egg sales have been good, but I don't know if it's feasible for the meat birds. As it is I have extension cords run to most places I need it, and the makeshift coop for the breeding pen isn't at the barn. If I'm able to move it or put in permanent lighting elsewhere that might change.

I'll have my layers under light since egg sales have been good, but I don't know if it's feasible for the meat birds. As it is I have extension cords run to most places I need it, and the makeshift coop for the breeding pen isn't at the barn. If I'm able to move it or put in permanent lighting elsewhere that might change.

Figured you knew how to keep them laying and understand how it is trying to "upgrade" things to accommodate change.

I kind of set up my last coop for breeding but things have changed and im going to need to use a different source of electricity soon. Thinking solar.

Hope you get things figured out.

Figured you knew how to keep them laying and understand how it is trying to "upgrade" things to accommodate change.

I kind of set up my last coop for breeding but things have changed and im going to need to use a different source of electricity soon. Thinking solar.

Hope you get things figured out.
Oh, that's an idea. It's not like it needs to be very bright just to trigger their biological clock. I have one I bought years ago; I think it quit working but it was really cheap. I could put one in both coops so I'm not running cords out in the rain. Thanks!

It would be interesting to cross Freedom Rangle x Red Ranger. Here is an old thread relate to the difference. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/freedom-rangers-i-will-give-you-the-true-story.61284/page-3
Well, I have both. Most of the Reds turned out to be cockerels but one is a nice breeding candidate, and there's two pullets. I've got my eye on what's hopefully another cockerel in my youngest group of Freedoms, since there weren't any great ones in the oldest batch - although I have kept one of those for now, so he can keep the hens fertile until the younger boys are up to the job. I do actually like that guy, except that he's barred. Very handsome, but I wasn't planning to have any barred in my breeders. However, these newest Freedoms are from a different line that turns out to have lots of barring, so I might not have a choice about it 🤷‍♀️ I've never seen a breed that's red barred; it would be cool looking, but I don't know if it's possible to eliminate all the black. If I take them buff as planned it won't really stand out. I guess I'll just see what happens for now.

For those that not picky on taste, Ranger is way go. I am taking different route. Hopefully, my creation of Bresworth (Irworth x Bresse cross) project fruiten in the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom