For those that not picky on taste, Ranger is way go. I am taking different route. Hopefully, my creation of Bresworth (Irworth x Bresse cross) project fruiten in the next few years.
Not picky? IMHO any home raised bird is a big improvement over store bought, and alternative breeds far more flavorful than Cornish - especially on premium feed and free ranged, so they have a wider variety in their diet.

Not picky? IMHO any home raised bird is a big improvement over store bought, and alternative breeds far more flavorful than Cornish - especially on premium feed and free ranged, so they have a wider variety in their diet.
True, any home raise chicken is better than store Cornish X. However, there are difference in taste from various breed of chicken. My favorite would be Dorking and White Bresse. The feed is also affect the taste.

Here is a chicken from the crossing red ranger thread. It was bred from a hen -- a Red Ranger and Dorking egg hatched by another member that was then crossed with a Naked Neck rooster. It is the silver chicken, a week older than the White Rocks in the photo. About 9 weeks old, it weighed over 3 pounds.
IMG_4911.JPG

Here is a chicken from the crossing red ranger thread. It was bred from a hen -- a Red Ranger and Dorking egg hatched by another member that was then crossed with a Naked Neck rooster. It is the silver chicken, a week older than the White Rocks in the photo. About 9 weeks old, it weighed over 3 pounds.View attachment 2282747
Ewww, I can't stand naked necks!

True, any home raise chicken is better than store Cornish X. However, there are difference in taste from various breed of chicken. My favorite would be Dorking and White Bresse. The feed is also affect the taste.
Well, I'm not trying to supply gourmet restaurants. My goal is to create a sustainable breed for small producers/homesteads - and if my eggs are any indication, my feed makes for excellent flavor.

Well, I'm not trying to supply gourmet restaurants. My goal is to create a sustainable breed for small producers/homesteads - and if my eggs are any indication, my feed makes for excellent flavor.
I am raising chicken not to sell either. The cost/time to raise a block for either breed is about the same. I think the Free Ranger took me 4.5-5 months to have decent meat on them. Can you share your feed that make excellent flavor?

I am raising chicken not to sell either. The cost/time to raise a block for either breed is about the same. I think the Free Ranger took me 4.5-5 months to have decent meat on them. Can you share your feed that make excellent flavor?
It's a local blend - my partner picks it up directly from the mill. Whole grain, no corn/soy, probiotics. I'm experimenting with fermenting it too - the pigs love theirs that way, and they're SO fat and shiny! The birds also get treats like mealworms and minnows, plus whatever they forage. My Rangers were nice fryer size at 12 weeks - I didn't weigh them, but easily double the size of my layers the same age. Maybe 5-6# processed? That's the size I prefer since I'm only feeding myself. I might grow a few longer for roasters, but for the most part I want nice tender dark pieces for frying and grilling.

Back
Top Bottom