Pics
@rascal66

My DB are so small and (relatively) slow to grow compared the the NHR (and of course the Pekins - but I'm a first year flocker, and have no other references) I was starting to get worried they (impulse buy on chicks, I was getting whatever I could - this year has been mostly "out of stock" - but my daughter was with me and they were so cute!) were a mistake for long term breeding, particularly given my hot humid climate in FL. Not being able to find many pictures on the internet (or even threads here) on Brahma crosses with other common breeds was making me very nervous.

The pictures above are both extremely encouraging for my long term plans, and helpful reference as well. Much appreciated.

@Lauravonsmurf at what age did they start really putting on weight? Mine are coming up on 5 weeks, but are only a little larger than the golden comets the same age (which I understand to be a relatively small bird, for all its egg laying capacity). They are on the same generic starter/crumble I've used for all the other birds, since the ducks were mixed in. Vitamins in some of the water (I have some Cornish which I hope aren't crosses - TSC and their labels!), and a bit of vinegar in a different water source.

@MysteryChicken also helpful, if I can find an EE roo. Maybe next year selection will be improved, or the local mom and pop farms will have reopened their doors. I'd imagine the EE roos aren't in high demand???
I've got a couple EE cockerels that we don't need. If there were a way you can get them, you'd be set for your project. Have you tried ordering from a hatchery? They have a good selections of EEs.

Yeah, NW FL. MI is a bit of a drive, or I'd happily take them off your hands.

I've looked at the Online hatcheries - low availability unless I want chicks 5, 6 weeks from now, and larger order requirements this year. As I'm already at 8 ducks and 20 chicks, I'd not planned on adding another 10 birds in the near term - its my first year of this - while the thought of trying to introduce just one or two birds (and roos at that!) to an established flock of possibly larger birds fills me with some trepidation.

Still, ty for the offer @MysteryChicken

Yeah, NW FL. MI is a bit of a drive, or I'd happily take them off your hands.

I've looked at the Online hatcheries - low availability unless I want chicks 5, 6 weeks from now, and larger order requirements this year. As I'm already at 8 ducks and 20 chicks, I'd not planned on adding another 10 birds in the near term - its my first year of this - while the thought of trying to introduce just one or two birds (and roos at that!) to an established flock of possibly larger birds fills me with some trepidation.

Still, ty for the offer @MysteryChicken
You're welcome.
Meyer hatchery is letting people order as few as 3 chicks right now. I get my chicks from them.

With the small order charge, they might be better off buying more than they want and selling the rest. If they are pullets they should sell fast
There's only a shipping price, & the price of the chicks, yes you can buy as many as you want. They'll list a small order fee like cackle hatchery would, Meyer hatchery doesn't have a Small order fee.

@rascal66

My DB are so small and (relatively) slow to grow compared the the NHR (and of course the Pekins - but I'm a first year flocker, and have no other references) I was starting to get worried they (impulse buy on chicks, I was getting whatever I could - this year has been mostly "out of stock" - but my daughter was with me and they were so cute!) were a mistake for long term breeding, particularly given my hot humid climate in FL. Not being able to find many pictures on the internet (or even threads here) on Brahma crosses with other common breeds was making me very nervous.

The pictures above are both extremely encouraging for my long term plans, and helpful reference as well. Much appreciated.

@Lauravonsmurf at what age did they start really putting on weight? Mine are coming up on 5 weeks, but are only a little larger than the golden comets the same age (which I understand to be a relatively small bird, for all its egg laying capacity). They are on the same generic starter/crumble I've used for all the other birds, since the ducks were mixed in. Vitamins in some of the water (I have some Cornish which I hope aren't crosses - TSC and their labels!), and a bit of vinegar in a different water source.

@MysteryChicken also helpful, if I can find an EE roo. Maybe next year selection will be improved, or the local mom and pop farms will have reopened their doors. I'd imagine the EE roos aren't in high demand???
Well, I've heard from Brahma breeders, that hatchery Brahmas are not nearly as impressive as a 'breeder quality' Brahma, simply since hatcheries focus more on egg production traits vs growth, color and etc. But then again they can be harder to come by, these higher quality ones. Actually, all my birds are considered hatchery, until I can get my breeding worked on. So if anything, depending on what traits you desire most, pick the best birds of your choice for breeding and simply just use them. But that's just an option! :) I currently have a new hatchery buff Brahma, and I'm not happy or impressed with his traits. He's beautiful, but not very large or heavy. I plan to replace him once I have a good replacement for him. Breeding is fun! My last light Brahma was better in size, and made some larger EEs. However the brahma x wyandotte i also produced arent all that. I also have Brahma x leghorn! Definitely a bit larger, and still great layers. But not enough for added meat lol

Last edited:

I didn’t really track them just one day they got bigger and then huge, I am pretty sure they are pullets but not mature yet and they are dwarfing the other breeds. My birds are hatchery chicks either from Belt or Ideal. That is who my local feed store order from.

My RRs arrived (Rudd Rangers) Friday and my eggs in the incubator also hatched this weekend (layer types)
Hoover goofed up my order and shorted me 3 RRs so I only ended up with 4, but right out of the box they were nearly twice the size as the JGs and Partridge Rock chicks. Now, a few days later, they clearly are twice the size as the Partridge. And the most active of all the chicks.

While I was waiting for the incubator chicks to pop out I filled my time reading up about more DP breeds to consider crossing with the RRs. Time will tell what I have sex wise on the RRs and how the roos may behave, which might determine if they make a breeding program or go to freezer camp because I really don't have the patience for bad tempered roos.

With the small order charge, they might be better off buying more than they want and selling the rest. If they are pullets they should sell fast
Thats what Craigslist is for. You can even profit off of it if you sell them fast enough. If it takes too long you lose money in feed. Best to advertise them before they arrive. When I do this I either break even or take a small loss which is still better than paying a small order fee.

Well, I've heard from Brahma breeders, that hatchery Brahmas are not nearly as impressive as a 'breeder quality' Brahma, simply since hatcheries focus more on egg production traits vs growth, color and etc. But then again they can be harder to come by, these higher quality ones. Actually, all my birds are considered hatchery, until I can get my breeding worked on. So if anything, depending on what traits you desire most, pick the best birds of your choice for breeding and simply just use them. But that's just an option! :) I currently have a new hatchery buff Brahma, and I'm not happy or impressed with his traits. He's beautiful, but not very large or heavy. I plan to replace him once I have a good replacement for him. Breeding is fun! My last light Brahma was better in size, and made some larger EEs. However the brahma x wyandotte i also produced arent all that. I also have Brahma x leghorn! Definitely a bit larger, and still great layers. But not enough for added meat lol
The bolded is true of most DP breeds and hatcheries. A good breeder should always have better birds than a hatchery if you're looking for dual purpose characteristics. When I started with Barred Plymouth Rocks I had a handful of hatchery-type hens before I hunted down standard-bred birds and they were POUNDS lighter than what I work with now, breeding towards the proper type and size.

Back
Top Bottom