Pics
Thats what Craigslist is for. You can even profit off of it if you sell them fast enough. If it takes too long you lose money in feed. Best to advertise them before they arrive. When I do this I either break even or take a small loss which is still better than paying a small order fee.
True. I ordered a box of 25 from Ideal last week and a very happy new owner just took 9 of them home today. I only asked for what they cost me, now everybody's happy! I just mentioned it on our local state thread, probably should have put them in the buy/sell section here, but I was just chatting and telling folks what I was doing. I would rather split with a fellow BYC'er than list on CL. My 9 extras are gone, brooder has more room, recouped some of the cost, she got birds without waiting until Sept. Win/Win.

I prefer we do buy and sell in the states section but I think they have rules requiring we go to that other section but I haven't seen enforcement of that rule in states section so maybe they allow it there. Not sure what the rules are but the states section on BYC makes more sense to buy and sell.

I prefer we do buy and sell in the states section but I think they have rules requiring we go to that other section but I haven't seen enforcement of that rule in states section so maybe they allow it there. Not sure what the rules are but the states section on BYC makes more sense to buy and sell.
A lot of people make a ad in the ad section and put a link to it in the state

For those who have worked with RR or even CX before, is it better to:
Use a RR roo to cover a regular hen
Use regular roo over the RR hen

I have plans to use a RR roo over a RR hen if possible, but (provided I end with with at least one of each sex) which is the best approach with regular chickens as well?

I've never done it so no real experience trying that. I'll still throw out my thoughts.

Genetically speaking it should not matter with RR. It might with the CX because of the dwarfing gene. If you try to use a male CX you might get dwarfs if you have a strain that uses dwarfs. If you use female CX's you will not get the dwarfing gene.

The RR's can get pretty big. Unless you use artificial insemination it may be easier for a dual purpose rooster to fertilize a RR hen that the other way around. I don't know if it is easier to keep a RR hen alive long enough to get eggs than to keep a RR rooster alive long enough for him to fertilize eggs.

Looking forward to your RR over RR experiment. If you can pull that off I think you'll be happy with the results.

I've never done it so no real experience trying that. I'll still throw out my thoughts.

Genetically speaking it should not matter with RR. It might with the CX because of the dwarfing gene. If you try to use a male CX you might get dwarfs if you have a strain that uses dwarfs. If you use female CX's you will not get the dwarfing gene.

The RR's can get pretty big. Unless you use artificial insemination it may be easier for a dual purpose rooster to fertilize a RR hen that the other way around. I don't know if it is easier to keep a RR hen alive long enough to get eggs than to keep a RR rooster alive long enough for him to fertilize eggs.

Looking forward to your RR over RR experiment. If you can pull that off I think you'll be happy with the results.
Thank you!
I'm raising my RRs like regular layers on typical chick feed so hopefully I can get some females to lay age. I've heard the roos can be snotheads, but have no experience nor do I have plans to try AI. The experiment is just for feeding my family so will leave them take care of things on their own. If my layer flock has some broodies I'll put eggs under them, and if not I have a bator.
Hopefully I can try a variety of crossings within the meatier bird pen and keep the layers out of it in their own pen. So, I don't need to be worried about dwarfing genes or undesirable health issues crossing RRs? (aside from the typical things)

Thank you!
I'm raising my RRs like regular layers on typical chick feed so hopefully I can get some females to lay age. I've heard the roos can be snotheads, but have no experience nor do I have plans to try AI. The experiment is just for feeding my family so will leave them take care of things on their own. If my layer flock has some broodies I'll put eggs under them, and if not I have a bator.
Hopefully I can try a variety of crossings within the meatier bird pen and keep the layers out of it in their own pen. So, I don't need to be worried about dwarfing genes or undesirable health issues crossing RRs? (aside from the typical things)
I have a feeling that the professionals would use a better laying hen with a large, meat type male just because some big birds lay so poorly. The cross gives you a lot of vigor just from having the unrelated parents. Using both RR parents might loose some of that hybrid vigor.

Back
Top Bottom