Rant: Plastic bags

I find that more and more places are asking, "Do you want that in a bag?"

I generally say, "I don't need a bag for that." whether asked or not.

I have a plastic bag holder in my garage and we reuse them as well. If I have only one item I don't take the bag. However they are useful if you have kitty cats that have litter boxes that need scooping.

I take the bags I don't reuse at home to work and we use them when we sell stuff there, so at least they are getting used twice.

Raz, I am going to make you some feed sack bags, but you must promise to use them!

Carol I love your avatar

I always stop them from bagging small purchases, I tell them I am saving the planet one bag at a time

besides, those things end up in my car just taking up space.

Quote:
I like the Trader Joe bags! They are serious bags (not the ones that are that flimsy stuff)

Trader Joe bags are superior and not only that you can enter a weekly raffle if you use reusable bags.

Just take your stuff out of the bag at the counter if it bothers you. I have way too many uses for them so I take them. I prefer paper bags as I provide raw material for them in my business.

Quote:
I guess it depends on where you get them. I've got some from about 4 different stores and have had them for probably about 4 years now. Only one is starting to tear at the handle. I've washed them and they turn out fine. I don't dry them in the dryer, because I'm afraid they will shrink. I just like them because I can fit so much more in them. Sometimes the cashiers won't fill them all the way, because they can get heavy. But I don't have a garage either, plus I have stairs into the house, so I tell them to fill it as much as you can, less trips for me to and from the car. I hate getting plastic bags, anymore it seems if you have anything that ways more than 1/2 lbs it tears. Thats more irritating than anything else to me. My husband uses them in the bathroom trash cans. I would just as soon not, and wash out the can if needed. It's hard for me to throw the plastic bags in the trash. Everytime I have to, I see the images of a documentary I saw of a sea bird with a plastic bag wrapped around its neck.
sad.png

I completely agree with this. I usually bring my own bags in if I need them, but if I buy ONE thing I do NOT need a bag.

I carried it to the register, I can bloody well carry it to my car! I will go to the store to buy a 6 pack of beer and they will BAG IT. it has a handle!
th.gif

Most of the time the bag person will ask if I want one, but occasionally they don't. When that happens I stand there and remove the stuff from the bag and tell them sorry, I didn't need a bag.

Quote:
You could just tell them.
They are simply doing what they are trained to do

That is actually part of my point. I feel they should be trained to ask.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom