Rapid Weight Loss in Quail Hen

JshBbKns

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2018
One of my hens (Venus) is having some major issues and I am wondering if anyone has any similar experiences that could help.
Venus is a 2 1/2 year old hen that is suffering from symptoms including:

- Weight loss (prominent breastbone)
- Labored breathing (gasping for air at times)
- Regurgitating Water (no food)
- Wet Feces
- Thirst 24/7
- Lethargy

I expected it to be Coccidisosis and treated accordingly to no avail. I also tried treating her with Vetrx Poultry Aid this morning. I will continue trying it for 3-5 days.
Despite these symptoms, she has not given up and still has an incredibly strong appetite. Venus has survived accidental Teflon poisoning and a cloacal prolapse when she was much younger so she is a tough little bird!

At the same time, I feel it may be old age getting the better of her. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Please don't reply with a simple "take her to the vet" because that isn't helpful to me. My visit to the vet consisted of simply euthanizing her without trying anything. Thanks!!!

Have you also posted on the Quail forum here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

I know zero about quail, but in most poultry, cancer, crop disorders and reproductive probelms can lead to weight loss. Worming might be helpful, and checking her crop function would help to tell if that is a problem. Some vitamins for a few days might perk her up.

One of my hens (Venus) is having some major issues and I am wondering if anyone has any similar experiences that could help.
Venus is a 2 1/2 year old hen that is suffering from symptoms including:

- Weight loss (prominent breastbone)
- Labored breathing (gasping for air at times)
- Regurgitating Water (no food)
- Wet Feces
- Thirst 24/7
- Lethargy

I expected it to be Coccidisosis and treated accordingly to no avail. I also tried treating her with Vetrx Poultry Aid this morning. I will continue trying it for 3-5 days.
Despite these symptoms, she has not given up and still has an incredibly strong appetite. Venus has survived accidental Teflon poisoning and a cloacal prolapse when she was much younger so she is a tough little bird!

At the same time, I feel it may be old age getting the better of her. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Please don't reply with a simple "take her to the vet" because that isn't helpful to me. My visit to the vet consisted of simply euthanizing her without trying anything. Thanks!!!
I have had this happen to me, I separated the sick quail and cared for it normally, my old flock died of unkown causes and these are the symptoms they gave before dying .
I've had a few pull thru and keep living but most died and I have no idea why! I did not treat them with anything, is it possible it's worms ?

Have you also posted on the Quail forum here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

I know zero about quail, but in most poultry, cancer, crop disorders and reproductive probelms can lead to weight loss. Worming might be helpful, and checking her crop function would help to tell if that is a problem. Some vitamins for a few days might perk her up.
What should I be looking for if I am checking her crop? Also, I am mostly new to Backyard Chickens so I didn't know that there was a Quail forum, Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom