Rare breed poultry HUGE FLOCK SALE

rainbowhatchery

Songster
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Rare and critically endangered poultry breeds. Birds from 6wks to adult Flocks,

Rainbow Farms is selling numerous flocks to make room for new breeds, changes, changing of blood lines ect. planning for 2016. I am only selling flocks We are NPIP and if you go to our farm page in the link in our signature below you can see pics and read about us.

Black Copper Marans 12 hens 3 roos $390 SOLD
Wheaten Maran 4 hens $100 all 4
BTB Marans 2 roos $15 each or $25 for both
Olive Eggers 8 hens 2 roos $120 ( 2 brown layers in coop)
Cream Legbars 8 hens 2 roos $360 SOLD
Lavender Orps 5 hens 2 roos $250 (half of birds are english)
Appenzellar Barths 4 hens 2 roos $250
Gold Laced Orpington 1 hen 1 roo $200
Jubilee Orpingtons 5 hens 2 roos $450
Mottled Orpington 5 hens 2 roos $450
Swedish Flowers 4 hens 1 roo $160 SOLD
Mottled Cochin Bantams 4 hens 1 roo $100 SOLD
Coronation Sussex 3 hens 1 roo $160
Tolbunt Polish 5 straight run $150 SOLD
Silkies 3 pair $35 per pair
Salmon Faverolle 3 hens 1 roo $100 SOLD
Dark Brahma 8 st run 6wks $35
BLRW (bbs) 8 st run 6wks $80 (blue parent, so chicks are BBS)
Hmong fibro(cymani cousin) 9 birds 3 month $400

Bantam mix, SOLD

If you have any questions about specific flock please ask, this is just a very short description. If you look on the site you can see pics of the actual birds. No bird is older than 2 years old so all still prime aged. Some of the flocks will not be available for a couple weeks as I still need to finish filling orders for 2016 but payment will hold the flock for you or a 50% deposit. We are located in Reed City, MI and with this sale is pick up only. Its extremely to pricey to ship an entire flock.

Last edited:
With Mareks it honestly depends on who you ask lol. Most research today says that mareks is so wide spread that if you own poultry for a long period of time your eventually going to have to deal with it. It typically (not always) but typically does not really affect your birds after sexual maturity, they can still get it but its typically not fatal, its an age thing so your adult birds may even have it and you dont know. The vaccine after 1 day is also probably up for debate on who you ask. It says 1 day but I know people that will give it to adult birds just to be safe. I personally will give it to young juvenile birds. You also have those that argue Mareks vaccination at its core because your technically giving the bird a form of Mareks and even more will argue with you that they can pass on Mareks from the vaccine itself and about 1-5% of birds will die from the vaccine. Its a very hotly debated topic depending on who you ask. I have had birds die from who knows what over the years and reality is with chickens if you have enough and long enough you will have some die and you will have no clue why. Obviously its very different if large numbers of your birds die which luckily I have never had to deal with. The way we handle it is relying on the aging process and its worked great for us. All new birds and young birds stay separate from the rest of our flock until they reach about 6 months old and laying age then they go in with the older birds. That 6 months of quarantine I guess you can call it has worked for us really well. Plus if I have a bird that starts acting odd or lethargic or really odd in any way I immediately remove and kill it. I know alot of people love their chickens and try to doctor them and medicate or whatever, I dont do that. I live by the old standard of only the strongest survive because I only want strong birds breeding so I dont really doctor my birds unless its an injury I can help with but anything else we just cull immediately. Diseases are scary thats for sure and vaccines are a hot debate, just like in people I guess some think they are great some refuse them, I suppose its a risk either way. Not commonly know the vaccine does not even stop the bird from getting mareks, there is no vaccine or cure for it, all the vaccine does is hopefully stop if from being fatal if they get it. Luckily Mareks is not transmitted to eggs so even if mom and dad have it and you get chicks they wont have it unless they get it from your flock or wherever they go. Our hatchery room is is a completely different building to once again try and quarantine day old chicks from older birds so our day old chicks never come within about 50 yards of our older birds from hatching to shipped out. Reality is you can be as careful as you want and then some person could come over to visit you and bring it on their shoes or pants right into your barn. We try and have a lock down barn in that nobody but the 3 of us (wife and son) are ever in the barns. That works out for us because we also own and breed livestock guard dogs so nobody can get inside our fencing and be in the barns anyway. I hope that answered your questions. I figured I would write alot since other can read the reply as well in case they had the same question. Oh and yes NPIP number will be on packages once we start shipping again in 2015.

Yes they can get pricey. We are just a hobby farm, both work full time and this is just a great fun family hobby for us so we try and keep our pricing around half of everyone else. Not to ruffle feathers (pun intended lol) but just so everyone can enjoy owning rare birds and as long as it covers our cost of owning the birds Im happy with that. Not everyone can say their hobby pays for itself.

Not a problem. Our birds and their health are very important to us just like yours are to you. We are not some huge hatchery with thousands of birds we dont care about. We just have to call ourself a hatchery so we are listed as a business for local zoning issues where we live and plus we like to be legal and do our taxes. We are just a hobby farm with about 250 birds give or take and we love our birds just as much as everyone else, they are spoiled rotten with enormous indoor and outdoor runs, unlimited feed, heated waters in the winter and predator stress free with our Anatolian Shepherds.

First off I want to say how excited I am to find you Rainbow hatchery!
I was despairing that I would just have to just deal with the birds at my local feed store and not get the birds I really want because of the exorbitant prices of shipping and cost of birds. so Thank you!
Second I have a few questions :)
I am really wanting some Marans. who's eggs are a darker color your black copper or Black tail buff? witch one lays more eggs per year? and about how many eggs per year?
How many years do your Marans produce?
Are Olive eggers like Easter Egger s where they only really produce collord eggs for the first year?
how is there egg production?
Would you mind posting a picture if you have it of your Maran and olive egger eggs please? I am really going for egg collor in my flock.
thank you so much for your time!

I will try and answer all your questions but if I miss one feel free to re ask. BTB Marans are created from wheaten line birds and are still a bit of a project but they are lovely birds. I tend to focus a bit more on the Roos, just a preference I guess. They are very similar in egg production to all marans. Opinions probably vary but different colors of marans dont really change production a whole lot. Egg color however does change quite dramatically with the different Marans. Our black copper lay an egg that is just a tiny tad darker than the BTB on average. However that being said I do have to collect them separately because some of the BTB hens lay just as dark as some of the Black Coppers and I would not be able to tell them apart so they are very close. I added a new Bev Davis rooster from a very dark line this fall to my Black Coppers so Im hoping to get a shake darker next spring out of them. With the BTB I pay attention to egg color but keeping the wheaten colors and traits out of feathering is a big focus for me and I have to do alot of culling, especially of roosters. Marans are very good layers and great dual purpose farm breeds, very friendly birds. My olive eggers are sort of my prize creation and I put ALOT of time and work into them. I use several different breeds and its taken me a couple years to create the birds I hatch from now which are basically their own breed now, they are not a mix anymore. I have my Olive Roos and Olive Hens and their eggs are a really dark olive green every egg. Im not familiar with Easter Eggers or others that only produce colored eggs the first year, all I have ever known always lay blue eggs their entire life. Our olives only ever lay olive eggs. With Marans as the hens get older they will lighten up some, the darkest egg you will ever get from a Maran is the beginning of that first years laying cycle. As the laying year moves on the eggs get lighter and then the next year they kinda darken back up again but are usually never quite as dark as that first cycle. We will have cream legbars in the spring which lay a very pretty blue egg. We only focus on rare breeds so we dont offer any Easter Eggers but we do love the color of eggs obviously so we got the cream legbars. We definitely can sell you some birds with about the most colorful basket possible from blue, green, dark brown, brown. Honestly the only thing we have that lays a white egg is our silkies. As for pictures here in a month or two we are going to be totally revamping our website and taking some excellent quality pictures of a hen and roo of each breed with good lighting in front of our hatchery emblem and making a nicer website. Im new to websites this being the first year I ever made one so I was not very good at it and we want to redo it. Just waiting for a few of my breeders to mature out before taking pics on some of the breeds.

Are you NPIP? Do you test for MG/MS? I am having to destroy my entire flock and will end up losing 300 or so birds :hit So I am scouring the internet trying to find places that test for MG to order from in the Spring. I don't ever want to go through what I have been dealing with for the last year and a half ever again :(

Back
Top Bottom