Rare white swedish?

superduckrescue

Songster
Mar 26, 2019
Austin, TX
I got this duck named mistery. From are purebred blue swedish. Is she a true white swedish? I do not live in Australia.. she doesn't have pink eyes so she's not albino but could she be partially albino?

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_164401773.jpg
    IMG_20190517_164401773.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20190517_164402631.jpg
    IMG_20190517_164402631.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 34
She's indeed white :) Here in the US we don't have whites, as far as I know, but they could exist if someone went through the trouble to breed white in and then worked to get the type correct on them.

White is recessive, so both of her parents, though they are not white, are carrying white. So this duckling got two copies, and white always expresses with two copies. It's more likely that her parents are crosses that just so happen to look like swedish ducks (which happens a lot, especially with crosses with pekins; I had a pekin cross that most would have called a black swedish if they were just considering his coloring) and they carry white. Very potentially they are actually pekin crosses.

Do you know with 100% certainty that her parents are purebred swedish, and their parents were purebred swedish, etc etc? If yes, then it's always possible that at some point a while ago, someone bred white into the line, and then bred back to the swedish type.

We got them from metzer's hatchery alarm is definitely pure because she she is show quality. Cuddle Quack has black spots on bib which is normal in the breed but is still a show quality duck. I have seen it called rare white swedish ducks in Australia

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, apologies if it does, but hatchery ducks are pretty much never show quality. Where did you hear that they were? I go to APA and ABA sanctioned shows, and for fun once I tried entering a welsh harlequin I bought from Holderread, who is an excellent breeder, AND I had paid for ducklings from his Top Show Quality breedings, so this wasn't your run of the mill hatchery duck. He didn't even place in the top five welsh harlequins at the show.

Even when breeding show birds, like Holderread does for their breedings, you're lucky if one in ten is even good enough to enter in a show. With a regular hatchery, like Metzer, even though their quality is better than some other hatcheries because they focus on just waterfowl, I wouldn't consider any ducks from them to be show quality birds that are going to be able to compete at a show.

Have you seen the APA standard and compared them to it?

In a hatchery setting, it's easy for an 'oops' to happen. Probably at some point a cross with a pekin happened, and since the ducklings will still retain the coloration of the swedish in such a case, no one noticed. Plus, crossing to pekins could increase the egg laying capabilities of the swedish, meaning more ducklings, meaning more money, so it's possible it was actually done on purpose.

My flock has one 7 alarm one waterfowl champion at the State Fair of Texas also at Bluebonnet poultry show which is the biggest in Texas and I got the best display at the State Fair yes I have compared them

Cool :) So these were APA sanctioned shows with APA trained judges? It's unusual that hatchery ducks will do so well, but that's awesome! And speaks well to Metzer's selection process when they choose their breeders. So in that case, white must have been bred in a long time ago, and then the resulting ducks were bred back to the swedish type. As far as birds are concerned, pedigree doesn't matter, if it looks like a breed, then it is that breed. So in your duck's case, white has probably been in them for a long time, and it just so happened that your two are carrying it. When bred together, tada, white ducklings.

Are you a member of the APA? If you're winning APA sanctioned shows with your birds, you might want to join up if not :) You accumulate points for wins and can get titles like Master Breeder.

Back
Top Bottom