Rasing coturnix on a large scale

Crawler Theres Easy Grow Out/ Flight Pens To Build Without Using Too Much Material. They're Rectangular, Easiest Is 4x8. Take 4x8 Plywood And Rip In Half Long Ways-- There's The 2 Sidewalls. Another Sheet And Rip Into 4x2 Sections (total Of 4 Per Sheet Obviously)THERE'S YOUR END WALLS.

A Few 2x4x8ft And A Couple 4x4x8ft==== Build A Frame 4x8 With The 4x4 Posts Lying Flat On The Ground. Once Built Cover The Center With Your Wire Floor.

Then Add 2ft High Walls And Frame The Top Of The Walls With 2x4's.

Next--- 1/2 Inch Pvc Pipe--- Bend It Up Into Arches From 1 Side To The Other --- Rig It Inside The Frame Walls And Secure.

All Thats Left To Do Is Cover With Netting Or Wire Of Your Choice And Secure It All Along The Top Of The 2ft High Frame Walls And Along The Pvc Arches. They're Light And Very Portable So It Can Easily Be Moved Like A Chicken Tractor.

Insert Birds And Feed!

You Can Build 2 Pens With....

3 4x8 Sheets Of Plywood And 1 Bundle Of Pvc Pipe + Wire For The Floor And Netting For The Roof=== They End Up Looking Like Open Air Quanset Huts.

Last edited:
This sounds like a heck of an operation, wish we had a market like yours here. What kind of incubator you got? I'd love to see pics.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
will be taking pics this evening , i was at a swap meet all weekend , i have a gqf 1200 a 1202 and a copy i built of the 1202 with no turner that i use for a hatcher only i normally have 2 incubators running at a time

i built 2 of those pens so far and they work well , need to wrap the legs with aluminum flashing as i had coons get about 10 birds in one of the pens , pulled their legs off . traps are set and i shot one this morning

right now i am about out of birds i took 25 jumbo brown roos to a local auction friday and they only brought $1.75 each when i went down to the ring to get my cages i had 3 people approach about buyng birds and between 2 of them i sold all of the extras i had after we came to a reasonable price

i have 500 eggs set that i bought from middle georgia quail farm not pleased with the quality but i will hold full judgement till after they hatch on the 1 st , first batch of eggs arrived coverd in white mold and smelled bad second replacement batch i paid extra to send ups second day air but she shipped them on a thursday so they sat over the weekend at the main ups hub

i have another 500 set from lake cumberland gamebirds and they seem so far to be better eggs arrived clean in good shape with a few broken but enough extras to still be ahead

i set 20-30 of my own eggs every day so yes i do a good bit of hatching now and there seems to be a decent market in this area for quail

i need to build another of these pens and make the sides out of 1/2 x1 wire like i used on the floors as some 2 weel old coturnix can still squeeze through the 1x2 wire i used on the sides of these 2 pens which means i have to keep them in cages in the brooder shed longer

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom