Ratios

ellasdad18

Chirping
Jun 28, 2015
I currently have nine toms and nine hens from a July hatch last year. I am most likely going to make that number two toms and nine hens really soon here. I know the season is coming soon for me up here on cape cod and I don't wanna see my girls go through all that pain. Is two toms and nine hens a good ration. I am keeping two just in case one is broken. Thanks in advance.

I keep 2 roosters also. The ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens each.. some can go 8 hens per rooster from what I've read based on certain rooster breeds and the roosters temperaments.

I currently have nine toms and nine hens from a July hatch last year. I am most likely going to make that number two toms and nine hens really soon here. I know the season is coming soon for me up here on cape cod and I don't wanna see my girls go through all that pain. Is two toms and nine hens a good ration. I am keeping two just in case one is broken. Thanks in advance.
I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. I have done fine at times when I have had 8 hens for one tom. I have read that one tom can easily handle 10 hens. How equally matched the two toms you keep will determine if they can coexist well. Of course if you split them up into two separate flocks things will go better.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom