RATS!!!

the trouble with rat poison is that it does not know when to stop killing as it moves up the food chain from rat to raptor or cat or whatever. dying from rat poison is a pretty misserable way to go, no matter what kind of critter you are talking and it's not all that successful, only kills about 60%, meaning the surviving population is becoming ever resistant to it. in the long run, rat poison is not the solution, IMHO. rodents are everywhere, the key is to reduce access to unlimited food, having access to unlimited food is when their populations get really out of hand. hardware cloth is also a key ingredient to deterrence, wall to wall, ceiling and skirted around the perimeter of the coop. I have no more than a half inch gap anywhere in my coop. in 3 years I have had 1 rat figure out how to dig down and under and that rat is no longer with us. my feed kept in metal containers and I keep black plastic traps set with food around them. the traps are around the outside of the coop and I catch a few rats a year month, keeping the overall population manageable.

I got two cats a year ago...I feed them some but expect them to hunt too....these are barn cats.....they are not cuddly lap cats.....they had three kittens one was taken by a coyote I think....

These cats are forever welcome here...I cannot find a mouse...a rat..a chipmunk...anywhere....the squirrels are far and few between....and very wary about stepping foot on the ground...

I hate cats...but I hate the things they keep away worse......bless my cats!!!

the trouble with rat poison is that it does not know when to stop killing as it moves up the food chain from rat to raptor or cat or whatever. dying from rat poison is a pretty misserable way to go, no matter what kind of critter you are talking and it's not all that successful, only kills about 60%, meaning the surviving population is becoming ever resistant to it. in the long run, rat poison is not the solution, IMHO. rodents are everywhere, the key is to reduce access to unlimited food, having access to unlimited food is when their populations get really out of hand. hardware cloth is also a key ingredient to deterrence, wall to wall, ceiling and skirted around the perimeter of the coop. I have no more than a half inch gap anywhere in my coop. in 3 years I have had 1 rat figure out how to dig down and under and that rat is no longer with us. my feed kept in metal containers and I keep black plastic traps set with food around them. the traps are around the outside of the coop and I catch a few rats a year month, keeping the overall population manageable.
If I have any more problems I will change my solution. I hate how the animals have to suffer.

Ok, I've had it.....it's war time now!:mad: These little critters have taken over my kitchen at night. I actually heard a family of them, squeaking and making all kinds of noises. My husband was sweeping the floor in the living room this morning, moved the couch and guess what he saw......tons of rat poop, YUCK!!! Now I have to figure out how their getting in, it has to be from the garage. Going to the hardware store today to get some plaster or drywall sand to serve them up a nice treat tonight! I just hope they don't die where I can't locate them.:rolleyes:

Ok, I've had it.....it's war time now!:mad: These little critters have taken over my kitchen at night. I actually heard a family of them, squeaking and making all kinds of noises. My husband was sweeping the floor in the living room this morning, moved the couch and guess what he saw......tons of rat poop, YUCK!!! Now I have to figure out how their getting in, it has to be from the garage. Going to the hardware store today to get some plaster or drywall sand to serve them up a nice treat tonight! I just hope they don't die where I can't locate them.:rolleyes:
My mom had a family in her walls. She beat them over the head with a broom. Good luck!

Do you know anyone with a terrier? Cats are great, but too smart and only work when it suits them. A terrier.. Jack Russel, normal Yorkshire.. any of them, will clear a place out in no time.
I have a love hate thing with Yorkies.. my family always had them as kids, where as I was more into hunting dogs.. but even now, I have one along with the others.

Can rat poison if consumed by a mouse, which is then consumed by a chicken cause a chicken to become ill?
yes, of course it can, and it can kill the cat/possum/bird/hawk/eagle, etc. that eats it too - a trick my LA friend said was to put out a dish of confectionary sugar mixed with plaster of paris which I would surround by one inch wire mesh so another animal doesn't get it - at night - the plaster hardens in the rats stomach and it dies but nothing else will die eating it - you have to do what makes you comfortable -

Back
Top Bottom