raw diets for dogs....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lagpmgdsls, Sep 11, 2010.

1. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    would someone be so kind as to post a menu ...say over a weeks time that they feed their dog? I have been thinking about switching over our dog....sson to be dogs and have read and read but still have some confusion as to how much per day and what else to add besides meat.

Our dog is approaching 90 lbs at this point.

Thankyou!!!

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Sounds like you need to talk to Redyre Rotties! Or check out her website, as she is a proponent of the raw diet and experienced in feeding it.

HTH

Rusty

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I have a friend that feeds 1 raw rabbit a day to each of her dogs. They are very healthy and parasite free. She buys her rabbits by the case from a supplier and thaws out one per day per dog. They eat meat, bones, fur..everything. Apparently the cost for her is about the same as a medium priced commercial dog food.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Pitcarn's Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. Saved my lab's life. He was allergic to everything I tried to feed him. The vet suggested putting him down so I figured I had nothing to lose. After a few weeks the vet could not believe it was the same dog.
    sharon

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I talked to my vet about a raw diet just yesterday. He's a very hip vet, used to be the main vet at the state aquarium.

His response was "Can you say Salmonella?"

6. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    ... can you say bull? Only way salmonella enters the equation is if you don't clean up after prepping - might be bad for you and your kitchen. Dogs don't get it.

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Vet's love the salmonella argument. it's crap. It's no more likely than if you don't prepare your own food properly. We fed four dogs from age 4 months to 13 years a raw diet all last year. WE only stopped because I lost my job and it got too expensive to feed a 150 lb mastiff raw diet enough to meet his needs.

We fed strictly chicken, eggs and organs. It took a week or so for everyone's stomachs to adjust but then it was super easy. My fridge was not big enough to keep as much chicken though!!! Once I get back on my feet financially, we will go back to raw diet.

8. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    As I told a vet years ago, "Are you serious?"

this is an animal who licks its butt daily and eats feces when it gets the chance, and I am supposed to worry about some fresh raw meat?

Nah. [​IMG]

I would recommend as a first step you do some internet research and join one of the lists at Yahoo Groups about how to learn how to raw feed your dog.

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    How many dogs have you seen eat road kill? Lots and they survive it. They can easily eat foods that are beyond the point of human consumption. The natural diet that Pitcarn promotes uses balanced nutrition and raw fresh foods. Comercially processed dog food became popular after WWII. Now, table scraps aren't the healthiest food for animals and quite frankly the way people eat processed foods today they aren't very healthy for the humans either!
    sharon

10. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    On average I feed 2 frozen chicken quarters in the morning, a 2 inch piece of organ meats in the afternoon and an orange foodball of kibble at supper time. All meat is given frozen to allow for more chewing time. I keep her system open to kibble in case I can't feed raw anymore for whatever reason. I add various other meats when I can, such as beef, pork hocks and anything else that I can find. She's in fine shape with gorgeous teeth [​IMG]. Teeth is an obsession with me..I hate to see tarter and yellow teeth on an animal...just isn't right. No dog that I've ever had on kibble had good teeth after a few years and I've tried top brands with the same yucky results. Yes I know, some people wll swear that their dogs teeth are fine with kibble and I say that their dog must have Superdog genetics. [​IMG]

Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by