raw diets for dogs....

I'm figuring about 2.5% for the greyhound who is 3 years old and ideal at 80#, and 2.5% for the rescuebull (pit bull) at 1.5 years old and ideal at about 50#...

To be cost effective I need to find the food at around $0.20-0.25 - not counting my time.

80*2.5% = 2 lbs
50*2.5% = 1.25 lbs

3.25 approx per day * 365 = 1186.25 pounds per year If and only if this doesn't require modification

Or

3.25*7 = 24.5 lbs per week

Current kibble (50# @ 32-35$ for 'about' 1.5 months at 3 cups each a day (+/- due to condition and planned activity that day) ... = $35/45days = $0.78 a day (0.80 rounded) = $5.60 week

Not counting the supplements looks I want to do Vit E and at first probiotics- any idea what the actual 'bug' is in the probiotics? Living on the river and ocean fish won't be a problem, nor will eggs... I can get fresh kelp if I want to drive out there... ohhh and for the chickens...

of course I'm not counting the cats...

three cats at about 10# each... current food is $26 of 16# which is free fed and last (well not as long when the puppies steal it about 2 months) ... so another .75 (round up to 1 pound) lb of raw diet...

$26/60days = $0.43 per day = (rounded) $3 per week

But one of them is 18 years old and she has no teeth to speak of so a little extra work (Rose) and the15 year old has never ever eaten table food even offered to him (Phillip)... leaving one (Harry) or two (Rose if she wants) cat(s) at .25-.50 ish lbs but higher organ meat then the dogs, lower anything else...same supplements (eggs, Vit E- think I'll skip the kelp for the cat)...

Did I miss anything important in 5 hours of reading?

Currently on medium grade kibbles= $8.60 per week
To feed raw for everyone = 3.75- 4.0 lbs approx pounds + supplements = approx 28# per week - up to $0.30 to break even?

Vit E = $15.00 for 50 pills - um... let's see, eggs I have...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom