Raw head!

Ajs1214

Hatching
Nov 21, 2021
We got a new rooster for our 3 girls since they free range, one of them is getting severely picked on and her head is completely raw and now her neck feathers are being plucked out! She refuses to go back in the coop so we’re trying as best we can to keep her in a kennel in the house at night to stay at warm and feed her! Any thoughts on to why this might be happening?? They were ok for the first week or so just seems like they’ve abandoned her :(

We got a new rooster for our 3 girls since they free range, one of them is getting severely picked on and her head is completely raw and now her neck feathers are being plucked out! She refuses to go back in the coop so we’re trying as best we can to keep her in a kennel in the house at night to stay at warm and feed her! Any thoughts on to why this might be happening?? They were ok for the first week or so just seems like they’ve abandoned her :(
Overmating issue?? 3 hens is not enough for a rooster.

Pictures?

Pictures might help, could be a pecking order issue, the rooster might not like her, or maybe the rooster likes her too much 🤟

Attachments

• 50DC735F-2941-41A7-A176-E4BE4CBE28FC.jpeg
    50DC735F-2941-41A7-A176-E4BE4CBE28FC.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 6
  • F6B5A211-00B2-4529-9979-B5D810B5A359.jpeg
    F6B5A211-00B2-4529-9979-B5D810B5A359.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 6
I h
Overmating issue?? 3 hens is not enough for a rooster.

Pictures?
How many hens should you have? We lost a couple earlier this year and we lost our rooster too, but he was always protecting all 3 of them, seems now she’s gotten pushed out

Attachments

• 10EAB42C-DF89-49C4-9BC3-C5C7D71D2814.jpeg
    10EAB42C-DF89-49C4-9BC3-C5C7D71D2814.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 6772F3C4-EC6A-44E5-A3B6-1CD097A9254B.jpeg
    6772F3C4-EC6A-44E5-A3B6-1CD097A9254B.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 6
I h

How many hens should you have? We lost a couple earlier this year and we lost our rooster too, but he was always protecting all 3 of them, seems now she’s gotten pushed out
I never separate birds unless it's necessary, but please separate that poor hen immediately! Flush her head wounds with Chlorhexidine or a saline solution and coat with a poultry approved antibiotic ointment (original Neosporin, Vetaricyn etc.). She doesn't want to go into the coop because that rooster is going to kill her if she remains with him. The usual recommendation is 1 rooster per 10 hens, but the exact number varies depending on the rooster.

I h

I have 20 for my rooster. But he also has 2 sons which we will be "dealing" with soon. If rehoming doesn't work, we still need to get rid of them. Hens are the priority here.

I would definitely seperate her and coat her wound with ORIGINAL neosporin with NO pain killer or some Veterycin. Looks like the other birds did it to her. :(

One thing to know is that chickens are attracted to blood and will peck at it. I have had a chick get killed because of this (during my first batch of chicks). I will never make that mistake again!

She has been separated, we have her in a different kennel now and have been treating her head. This is the first time I’ve had this happen after a lot of years of having hens, we’ve never had 10 hens at a time and they’ve been ok, but it makes sense with such a small amount. Thank you!

I have 20 for my rooster. But he also has 2 sons which we will be "dealing" with soon. If rehoming doesn't work, we still need to get rid of them. Hens are the priority here.

I would definitely seperate her and coat her wound with ORIGINAL neosporin with NO pain killer or some Veterycin. Looks like the other birds did it to her. :(

One thing to know is that chickens are attracted to blood and will peck at it. I have had a chick get killed because of this (during my first batch of chicks). I will never make that mistake again!
Thanks so much for your help, we definitely can’t have 20 girls, wish we could, but we may be able to up it a little bit!

Back
Top Bottom